Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: backpack that can accomodate manfrotto 3051

backpack that can accomodate manfrotto 3051

was hoping somebody had experience using a manfrotto 3051 in the field. i understand it is quite heavy but i have used one and like how sturdy it is. does anybody know of a camera backpack that can carry a large, heavy tripod?

Re: backpack that can accomodate manfrotto 3051

The 3051 collaspes to about 36" without head -- not many packs that long to fit inside...and at 13 pounds (w/o head), certainly not one of the lightest (even outweighs a Ries A100)! I suppose you could strap it onto any pack, but it will be awkward...okay for flat or easy walking.

I hand carry a Ries A100 (with 250 head makes it about 17 pounds). Just got use to it, since it is not convienent to strap in on the pack with the 8x10 inside. I was a trail builder and fire fighter for 10 summers, so on the trail I always had a shovel, pulaski, or something in my hand...so your results may differ.

Since I am often off-trail, or on rough trails, I find it nice to be able to place end the tripod ahead on me on the ground as I step up or down. That is 17 pound less my legs/knees have to handle in one go. The pack with the 8x10 (6 holders, etc) weighs about 45 pounds already!

If you do hand-carry, you can take off the head and put it in your pack to lighten your load in your hand. I have done that occasionally on long hikes back to car or camp and I have no more unexposed film on me. The head weighs 4.75 pounds.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

It depends on your backpack. Mine fits fine on the frame of my Kelty, which is what I typically use to pack my Deardorff, but I have never gotten it onto any of my other packs. I have a cheap, old, Walmart Ozark Trail, internal frame pack that should work, but I can't get it to stay stable for any period of time unless I tie it down on top.

All the others are a no go from the start for something that big and heavy.
    The Viewfinder is the Soul of the Camera

If you don't believe it, look into an 8x10 viewfinder!

Dan

Drew Wiley

I simply bunji my big Ries tripods to the back of my frame packs. Works fine, miles on end, though I do have to be conscious of low overhanging limbs. But I stuff collapsible CF tripods under the top flap sideways. There are real risks hand-carrying tripods. Nice way to slip. Nice way to get bursitis. I might tote a view camera
    a short distance rifle-style on tripod, with my pack off nearby. Just a couple years ago I had a buddy slip in a creek that way, and luckily duct tape salvaged his
    ankle enough to allow another week of off-trail hiking out. We were way back. But his expensive camera gear didn't survive the slip. And he was an extremely experienced climber and backcountry veteran. My refurbished Kelty is turning out very comfortable for various camera systems - MF right up to 8x10.

Not sure I understand the problem. Weight alone should not be an issue: If you can can shoulder the total burden it will work.

Do you want to stow the tripod entirely inside the Pack? If so—why? Many backpacks, photo and otherwise have tie downs or cargo straps.

For such a large (long) and weighty load you might look at backpacks designed for backpacking rifles.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NcStar-VISM-...0AAOSwAYtWQU83

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hunting-Back...kAAOSwSHZWeHFv

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hazard-4-Eva...EAAOSwT~9Wisi0

May not be what you are thinking of, but one of these or something similar should work out as well as other more traditional options.

Cheers
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

the way many backpacks carry tripods I fear will not be able to handle the weight of the tripod
    example:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	$_57.JPG 
Views:	13 
Size:	49.3 KB 
ID:	153259

I agree. But I am not too sure that those types of backpacks will work for large format. I have one of those and I can get one Crown Graphic and three Grafmatic film holders inside with a light duty tripod outside. To be honest though, even though these things will fit, the backpack does not make them comfortable to carry for any distance.

But people have been able to adapt all kinds of things for packing camera gear around. Just look at what the military has provided over the years. (shudder)
    The Viewfinder is the Soul of the Camera

If you don't believe it, look into an 8x10 viewfinder!

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by georgekushstanza View Post
    the way many backpacks carry tripods I fear will not be able to handle the weight of the tripod
    example:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	$_57.JPG 
Views:	13 
Size:	49.3 KB 
ID:	153259
    Right: My LowePro Trekker can be made to take an 8x10 Kodak 2D and the other stuff, but I wouldn't want to backpack with it for any distance, even when I was young and fit. The design philosophy behind the discontinued PhotoBackpacker system was to adapt a sophisticated, high-end hiking backpack to carry large format photo gear. Most if not all photo backpacks are designed to carry DSLR bodies and lenses, not LF gear.

The OP wants to transport a long and heavy tripod securely.

That's why I suggested adapting some backpack designed for tactical operators transporting bulky long arms. The construction is rugged ("Hell-For-Stoute" as thay say here in Texas), and the suspensions are ment to deal with the load. Dunno if this approach would work, but its worth looking at.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Given the weight involved, I've always carried my 475 Manfrotto by hand, and my pack has been for the camera, lenses, holders, etc.

The 475 is an excellent tripod, but with age, it became too heavy. So, I purchased a CF tripod that I carry by hand.

Drew Wiley

I practice periodically with my big CF tripod. It holds the weight of my 8x10 and huge MF telephotos just fine, but just doesn't have the mass or wind resistance of
    my larger wooden Ries tripod. I bought it as old age insurance, for when I truly need to lighten the pack. But I routinely use a smaller Gitzo CF for backpacking
    trips with 4x5, but prefer a mid-weight Ries for dayhikes and road shooting with 4x5 or quickie MF work. If its just a few hours trail walking locally with a 6x7 or
    Nikon, I'll simply use a shoulder bag and carry the tripod rifle-style over my other shoulder. But doing that with a view camera seems to be begging for bursitis.