Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Large format Enlarger Advice - Please

Large format Enlarger Advice - Please

Looking to delve into collective wisdom as I am just about all the way into a new first time darkroom setup.

I shoot mainly 4x5 and have been digitally printing and recently purchased an 8x10 kodak 2d with 5x7 back.

I've been building a darkroom and purchased an old elwood 8x10 enlarger(the wood and cast iron one) with an older aristo head. The head requires graded paper only and can be upgraded to vc for $500 from aristo. The neg holders are dodgy as they are mat boards sized to fit the 8x10 holder and the negs easily move around. The precision is ok but far from smooth. I also have a recently purchased lpl 6700 dxl which I thought would be good for paper flashing and the occasional small format printing.

After spending time with the camera I think 8x10 format will be for portrait contact prints only possibly using 5x7 and 4x5 for lanscape fieldwork.

That was all ok then a locally available Durst 138s with full set of condensers and holders is on the table.

I am looking at my 3rd enlarger before making a single print. The 5x7 enlargers don't seem to come up that often and I'm thinking it would replace the other two with the obvious exception of 8x10.

I'm quite a ways down this rabbit hole and would appreciate some sane advice.

Regards Lee

Re: Large format Enlarger Advice - Please

If you can find the space, get the Durst. It's a completely different (and better) class than the Elwood. It will be much easier to align, it will stay that way, and it'll be great even for smaller formats.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Thanks Peter,

Drew Wiley

This is a dogsled versus Ferrari option.

Andrej Gregov

I'm just spinning up into 8x10 myself so I can't comment much on enlarger choices there. Though, the Elwood looks pretty old school. A modern 8x10 enlarger would seem a better bet--but as Drew suggested, they will be pricey. Given you are primarily a 4x5 shooter, I would ditch the medium format LPL enlarger in favor of one of the Saunders 4x5s (4500/4550XL). They are quite well regarded among forum users. I have two myself. I would spend some time printing 4x5 before worrying about 8x10. The 4500/4550's are also modern enlargers so you'll get an idea how a up-to-date 8x10 enlarger should perform. You could make a call at that point whether you want simply contact print or upgrade to something like a Durst for 8x10. As for the 138s, they are also quite well regarded in the forum. If you have a fully equipped version, that would make a great 4x5/5x7 enlarger. Start with doing most your printing there and then figure out 8x10 later. In the 138s scenario, I'd still probably ditch the 6700 LPL. No sense it taking up space in the darkroom. Keep things simple. Good luck.

I've read (but have no direct experience) that 40cc Y filter will allow use of the older cold light bulbs with VC paper. Search and you'll see some commentary here and elsewhere.

Thank you for the feedback.

I'll go with the 138S.

I would like a 4x5 lpl but none are currently available in my areaand the 138s does the 5x7 as well.

Got a chuckle at the Ferrari analogy.

Thank you for your thoughts.

Regards Lee

Quote Originally Posted by LeeSimmons View Post
    I've been building a darkroom and purchased an old elwood 8x10 enlarger(the wood and cast iron one) with an older aristo head. The head requires graded paper only and can be upgraded to vc for $500 from aristo.

I'm quite a ways down this rabbit hole and would appreciate some sane advice.

Regards Lee
    If the Elwood $500 "VC upgrade" consists of new tubes, I wouldn't waste the money. First, I'd try a 40 CC yellow filter. Should be fine with the older tubes and VC paper. As noted above, I'd look into an LPL 4x5 enlarger, or at least the Durst 138S as long as it's complete and has all the pieces parts, ie, Nega 138 holder with glass, bulb and some lens boards, and at the right price. Otherwise these items get pricey and hard to find. The Durst is a fine enlarger, and I have one stored, but unless if you're going to shoot 5x7, I'd stick with the 4x5 LPL as Andrej suggested. They occasionally come up on Craigslist, are much newer and user friendly esp with the VC head. L

Elwoods work. They are easy to fix unless a casting breaks. They can also fit easily into a normal size room and be supported by a normally constructed floor. And they can be found cheap--that is the charm of the Elwood. Most you'll find have already been well hammered.
    Operating an Elwood takes a different mind set than a modern, precision built enlarger. An Elwood is sort of like a Stearman, while a Durst is more like an Airbus. Both will "get you there" but it helps to have a sense of humor (and a lot of time on your hands) when flying a Stearman.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stearman_kaydet_2.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	40.5 KB 
ID:	153051 versus Click image for larger version. 

Name:	qB5FudgU_400x400.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	17.6 KB 
ID:	153052
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

I had a 138S for - well, several decades. I was taking a photo in a local park with my 5 x 7 and had my head under the dark cloth when I saw a pair of feet. Looked out from under and the gentleman who was attached to the feet asked if I might be interested in a 5 x 7 enlarger. Up to then I'd been contact printing so I took him up on it - I think I paid $500 for it. Somehow I got it into an old BMW 2002 (in several pieces,) got it home and built a darkroom around it. Wonderful piece of equipment. I moved several times for work and didn't have a way of setting up a darkroom in the newest house so I donated it to a friend who was associated with the the Institute of Contemporary Native American Art in Santa Fe where they wanted to use it for murals. It's probably still there. It had grooved wheels so it could run on rails with the head swung 90 degrees so it fit the bill for what they wanted.

I think you'll be really happy with it.