Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What lab services are most needed?

What lab services are most needed?

So after years of working for and then owning a variety of photographic labs, I am in the position of having lots of experience, tons of equipment and I am looking to
    hunker down for the next bunch of years and build a resource for photographers.
    I am in Canada , but with the internet and shipping options the world has shrunk a bit. I believe mail order is possible, I am seeing this
    with many services I do , and I want to expand some niche services .

What services do you think are needed? (high quality film and contact service)
    What retail items do you think are not well found in our current market.? - (pre cut matts, sleeves, chemical kits.)

Right off the hop I think a mail order , film process and scan , print service from 35mm - 11 x14 film would be of value.
    Jobo is my process of choice for small runs but Jobo also makes a Techno Lab which can handle C41 and BW quite easily.

so these are two things I am thinking about right away.

thoughts, comments, suggestions?

Bob

Re: Currently need Lab Services

I don't know much about this stuff, but would your sheet film processing by Jobo or dip-and-dunk?

Portland, Oregon is lucky to still have one lab that does dip-and-dunk up to 11x14.

Perhaps offer enlarged negs for people who want to try alt processes but don't have the means to enlarge their own or don't have the desire to learn digital negs. Either optically or on your lambda with curves built in suitable for whatever alt process the customer wants to use. Just a thought, I don't really know the market enough to know if it's viable?

Both, dip and dunk would be much cheaper and run with other film.

Quote Originally Posted by neil poulsen View Post
    I don't know much about this stuff, but would your sheet film processing by Jobo or dip-and-dunk?

Portland, Oregon is lucky to still have one lab that does dip-and-dunk up to 11x14.

This will indeed be a niche service I am going to offer.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Larsen View Post
    Perhaps offer enlarged negs for people who want to try alt processes but don't have the means to enlarge their own or don't have the desire to learn digital negs. Either optically or on your lambda with curves built in suitable for whatever alt process the customer wants to use. Just a thought, I don't really know the market enough to know if it's viable?

Re: What lab services are most needed?

I've edited the thread title to more directly express what you're looking for.

Thanks Oren
    your right better title
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    I've edited the thread title to more directly express what you're looking for.

(Shrek)

Mail-order, same-day-by courier, drop-off: straight, cross- and push/pull processing of E6, C41, and B&W film from 8mm movie up to 8x10 sheet. Possibly cutting, slitting and spooling film for odd formats. Drum scanning. Don't think of us as your customer base, there's a lot of hipsters and amateurs out there who will pay for these services.

This might seem like a wimp's idea, however at only 70 years old due to injuries and arthritis my hands are a mess. Loading film holders is difficult growing on impossible. Prosthetics are priced on the moon and made of unobtanium.

So, a service that could accept ten to twenty film holders (4x5 most often, sometimes 8x10), process the film (B&W always with Rodinal 1:25) and reload the holders would be welcome.

** Let me take this opportunity to mention that years ago someone from this site surprised me with his custom design, handmade aluminum device to help with loading 4x5 holders with one hand. I lost his name, but have used the device! Thank you, Sir, if you are here. **

Hi Jody

I am putting it out here for suggestions , you are quite right my customer base is not from the forums but they represent a huge cross section of the photographic market, so all opinions are important.. You just gave me 3 bucket items in your short post.

One thing I am really wanting to push is the contact silver film from any source, specifically the users of digital cameras.
    Shipping Receiving reliability is going to be paramount for success, and I see this will take a good inside person tracking every job to completion will be required.

I have a pretty good track record on quality, I have been accused of taking too much time, but for this business venture economical speed service with outstanding follow through will be the trick.

Quote Originally Posted by Jody_S View Post
    Mail-order, same-day-by courier, drop-off: straight, cross- and push/pull processing of E6, C41, and B&W film from 8mm movie up to 8x10 sheet. Possibly cutting, slitting and spooling film for odd formats. Drum scanning. Don't think of us as your customer base, there's a lot of hipsters and amateurs out there who will pay for these services.