Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How to bring 4x5 and 6x17 slides on to 6x4,5 film

Re: How to bring 4x5 and 6x17 slides on to 6x4,5 film

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    See this link.
    Great experiment !! 48" wall mounted light box !!! That's a big slide...

Never used RX film... I've to learn more about it...

Wow! You Folks are amazing! Thank you for all your thoughts.

First I want to explain the reasons for my question. I had a 2 weeks vacation to greece lately. Because it was a family trip, I did not carry my 4x5 and 6x17 gear but only 645 with me. The task I put to myself was to shoot everything on slide and make a presentation of it. Something I never did since at least 12 years and I have never seen MF slides projected in my life. After the trip I buyed a Rollei P66S for 70 bucks on Ebay and the first time I saw a slide on my wall (not even a canvas) was...AMAZING! I have never seen something like that before.

So on coming trips, when I will use 4x5, 6x17 and 645 side by side again, I donīt want to miss this.

- Unfortunately I donīt have a LCD projector and I donīt have the money to buy 4k equipment. I think if you have really good and calibrated equipment (and I have a Tango drumscanner myself) it could come close to the analogue projection. but I think the price for the whole 4k chain would be around 6-7k Euro. So no, thats no solution in the moment. Before I do that I buy myself a film recorder arround 1000 Euro with 8k.

- this overhead/condensor idea is interesting but quite complex. I think of changing 20-30 slides during a presentation manually...puh. And what about the heat?

- I think I will try this duplication thing first. I have a macro and a very good big lighttable with 5000k. I develop myself so I can easily pull the film. But I read Provia doesnīt like to be pulled more than 1/2 stop. So is this contrast problem really so hard? I donīt have E100G nor Astia, only Provia. Is it so difficult to get the contrast from the original to the film?

Best regards,

Sebastian

Quote Originally Posted by sdzsdz View Post
    it could come close to the analogue projection.
    IMHO a digital projector cannot be compared to an slide projector. If you make a good scan and you use a 47" TV (even a 2k one) you'll get pretty good results, depending on the scene.

If the scene has not the colors that Velvia has and TV don't then you are not to notice the sRGB triangle pitfalls

If the scene has low static contrast, no difference will be there

If the scene has no bright points over 300 cd/m2 to be displayed, a common TV can trow that.

So it depends on the scene: If you shot white flowers over grass with dull illumination, then the digital chain performs perfectly. A sunset it's another thing...

But impressive scenes are those where Velvia-Provia makes a difference.

- this overhead/condensor And what about the heat?
    Here big surface provides an advantage, there is less light flow by surface unit for the same total power(considering also lens f/), so heat goes away easier

-But I read Provia doesnīt like to be pulled more than 1/2 stop. So is this contrast problem really so hard?

Of course, it doesn't like to be pulled because contrast decreases, so for a normal shooting this is a pitfall, but for copy work, you have to deal with nasty added contrast, and then that contrast decrease is what you need.

Suggestion: let me make a practical suggestion to speed up the tests:

Use 135 film for the copy/pull tests, make some a (say...) 6 shots bracketing with 6 different exposures, then shutdown lights, open the SLR back door and with scissors make a little cut in the film , just at the right of the shutter to mark the position of that series, repeat bracketing+open+scissors.

Then take the roll and cut by the marks made with scissors, in each fragment you'll have an exposure bracketing of 6 shots.

Develop each roll individually with different 1/2 stop pull. You only need to individually develop+rinse for first developer, later if you want you can do the rest all together, take care to not mix them to know what one is what, you can make a number of marks at each with scissor for identification...

Please post the results if you do it !! I'm eager to know about how it worked !!!!

PD: Oh... nice drumscanner, I've some (insane) envy : )