Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scanning Glass Plate Negatives

Scanning Glass Plate Negatives

Our local library has come across a collection of glass plate negatives and the question has been asked: Can these be scanned on a flatbed scanner? Has anyone tried, have any experience, or even heard of such attempts?
    "I meant what I said, not what you heard"--Jflavell

Photo Dilettante Donald Brewster's Avatar

Yes, it can be done. Many service bureaus routinely do it. Here is an example from Syracuse University which also describes their process: http://libwww.syr.edu/digital/images/e/ErieRailroad/

Or buy an Agfa T1200 with its 8x10 scan tray and do it yourself, they sell for nothing on Ebay.

CP Goerz.

I have printed many century-old glass plates on conventional paper. I found all of them to be extremely contrasty, relative to modern film negatives. Had to use grade 1 paper with Selectol Soft. Even then, it was touch-and-go on a few, requiring much burning and dodging.

Perhaps you should be prepared for this extra contrast, whatever printing method you choose.

You need something with a light in the lid like an Epson 2450 Photo. I would cut some 2 ply matboard to mask out all of the bed but the neg size so each one would be located the same. It also holds the surface away from the glass so you don't get newton rings. Once you've found a "curve" that seems to work with the contrast it would go pretty quickly assuming they're all similar in contrast. Trying to reflect off of negs on a regular flatbed doesn't work very well. The light needs to go through in transparency mode.

A question for Jim. When the neg is above the glass like that, will the focus adjust?

most flatbed scanners have a fairly deep scanning focus (my 3200 measures about 3mm of hard focus, then continues to be fairly good for another 4mm)

As others have said, today's flatbed scanners are capable of doing a reasonable job. I have hundreds of family photos on glass plates from the turn of the century that have been handed down from my great, great grandfather. I've scanned a number of them with my older Epson 1640SU Photo scanner. Please feel free to drop me an email if you'd like to see examples.

To ALL: Thanks for the informative responses. Maybe I can get my newspaper to kick in for the scanner. Maybe, a new 4990 that could sit on my desk when it's not being used to scan plates.

Thanks again.

Reread what Andrew Glover suggested. Try an Agfa T1200. Available for under $100 on Ebay, and with a little practice they can do a great job.

Here is a link to some scans I did of 5x7 glass plates that were created C. 1910-1913 in Cincinnati, Ohio.

http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=388609