Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: has it all been done before

has it all been done before

Might seem a strange question but within photography do you ever get the feeling that everything you try to do has been done before, is there anything that would be completely new and revolutionary?

Re: has it all been done before

Some things are worth doing again and again...
    Newly made large format dry plates available! Look:
    https://www.pictoriographica.com

Yes there are completely new and revolutionary things to do with photography, you have to imagine them first, then do them.

One problem is that many people will probably laugh, and many will be uninterested, because it is new and revolutionary.

Quote Originally Posted by el pescador View Post
    Might seem a strange question but within photography do you ever get the feeling that everything you try to do has been done before, is there anything that would be completely new and revolutionary?
    The first question is always not "has it been done before" but is "can I do something personally meaningful with this". If you can accomplish the latter the former question will be irrelevant to you and your audience.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    The first question is always not "has it been done before" but is "can I do something personally meaningful with this". If you can accomplish the latter the former question will be irrelevant to you and your audience.
    Exactly; I have a personal project about a topic that has been covered thousands of times, in all kinds of media, by scholars, artists and lay people, many of whom have done justice to it far better than I think I ever could.
    But I'm determined to go through with it myself because of what it means to me.
    And even though the ground has been well-covered, it hasn't been covered by me before, so at the very least I can make my small contribution.

Or, if you're just looking for kicks, you can go skydiving with your 8x10 Sinar P and get some good aerial stuff.

Interesting question. My answer to it was a featured comment on one of Mike Johnston's The Online Photographer blog posts last week:

Is that post what prompted the OP to initiate this thread?

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    Interesting question. My answer to it was a featured comment on one of Mike Johnston's The Online Photographer blog posts last week:

Is that post what prompted the OP to initiate this thread?
    No I hadn't seen that post but its very pertinent

I like Gordon Cahill's answer. http://theonlinephotographer.typepad...e-sorrows.html

I love process way more than image. But with time images grow on one, particularly personal ones.

Many musicians/composers try to NOT hear other's music to gain clear sight.

Sal Santamaura is smart to not look at every LF image, I tend to look too much, not here, but what the public view. Photographic advertising trends catch and evolve.

And I wonder who can truly remember every nuance, style of any art. Worldwide.

Last night I watched John Sexton's videos. He maintains we don't shoot or capture anything, we make prints. That's also process with vision, as AA taught him.

Mr Sexton is fortunate to have found a mentor. Most don't.

Life is short, make prints as good as you can and be content.
    Tin Can

I guess it's possible to do something completely new with photography. Some people try too hard to pull it off. Many times, their images have no merit other than novelty. Other times, it is later discovered that somebody else had already done the same thing. Knocks the wind right out of the "novelty".

It's good to develop our art and craft and try to find new images. But it has to serve a purpose, it has to have higher goals than just being the first.

Yes it's all been done before so pack up your equipment and ship it to me. I'll pay for the shipping fees