Thread: Hello from Divide, Colorado

Hello from Divide, Colorado

Hello, everyone! My name's Tommy. I'm a chubby little retired Army guy with a ridiculous beard who lives in a little nowhere town on the northern slope of Pikes Peak named Divide.

I started shooting LF last year when I picked up a Burke & James 8x10 field camera on eBay. I got my feet wet in LF by making tintypes. I started with premixed chemicals, and now my cupboards are jam packed with ingredients to mix my own. I even built a mobile darkroom for the back of my Jeep out of blackout curtains from Wal-Mart. I, by the way, still have so very much to learn in getting a good tintype image.

Earlier this year, I decided that I also wanted to shoot film on a smaller form factor for hiking. So I picked up a Tachihara 4x5 field camera. I LOVE IT! I have shot and processed both black and white and color with it, preferring Ilford FP4 Plus for BW and Kodak Ektar for color. And I recently discovered Harman direct positive paper - oh yeah!

With the LF cameras, I mostly shoot landscapes and old structures. We have plenty of both in my part of CO.

I've been shooting photography in the form of SLRs, DSLRs, and medium format film for quite a while. But I have a lot to learn in the world of large format, and that's why I'm here. I'm looking forward to reading up on all this forum has to offer, and I hope that I may be able to lend some small assistance.

Re: Hello from Divide, Colorado

A very warm welcome from all of us! Yes, there is a lot to learn, but this forum has been the best place for me to learn.
    Last edited by Peter Collins; 4-Nov-2016 at 09:40. Reason: correct English. No foolin'
    Peter Collins

On the intent of the First Amendment: The press was to serve the governed, not the governors --Opinion, Hugo Black, Judge, Supreme Court, 1971 re the "Pentagon Papers."

Hello Tommy and welcome to the forum! We are glad to have you. I shoot film but there are quite a few on here that enjoy alternative processes. You will fit right in!

Alan

Welcome Tommy. I know your neck of the woods, I used to live in Monument. Mueller State Park was one of my favorite places to shoot 4x5.

Don't hesitate to ask a question, or lots of questions. Folks here are happy to help. And post your photos anytime.

I've got family in Manitou Springs. Haven't been through there in several decades though.

David, Mueller is just down the road from me. I love it there, and I spend a lot of time there with my 4x5! If you have any good suggestions for around Monument, I'd be all ears (or eyes in this case).

Larry, I've not spent a whole lot of time in Manitou proper, but I've spent a lot of time on the edges at Red Rocks Open Space and at Waldo Canyon. Unfortunately, Waldo Canyon is still closed after the fire.

Welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by ocediis View Post
    Larry, I've not spent a whole lot of time in Manitou proper, but I've spent a lot of time on the edges at Red Rocks Open Space and at Waldo Canyon. Unfortunately, Waldo Canyon is still closed after the fire.
    I'm in the early stage of planning a trip through there on my way to SW Colorado for early fall next year. Kind of want to visit my cousins and use up some film in the area on my way through.
    Hope to visit the red rocks area and Garden of the gods.