Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Visit Banff, Jasper and Yoho NPs in early September

Re: Visit Banff, Jasper and Yoho NPs in early September

Will bring some color films. Wind is our LF enemy. Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Two23 View Post
    I've just returned from a trip there, and have been up a couple of times before. Some thoughts.

Some of the leaves I saw around Jasper were just so slightly beginning to turn already as of 8/20. Based on that I would guess peak would be 2-3 weeks away.

Camera gear. Unless you are in shape for hiking at 7,000 to 9,000 ft., My experience is lighter is better. If using LF I would take my Chamonix 045n. It was very windy on my Glacier NP to Edmonton AB route on some days, and I think that could create problems for larger cameras. Lenses: of your list, 75/150/210. I only shoot b&w film any more, and that worked well on some days. The only film camera I brought was a 1937 Voigtlander Bessa 6x9, and I got some nice moody shots of Waterton Lake with it. (wind blowing so hard I had to lay on the ground to shoot.) For fall, I would also want color film and a POLARIZER. I would rather forget a lens than forget a polarizer there. There are bears but like Ray suggests, they aren't behind every tree waiting to ambush you. Wife & I did carry bear spray on trails that didn't have a lot of traffic but never saw a bear, not even tracks. Park officials do encourage you travel in groups of four, and in some places (Banff) that seemed to be enforced somewhat. I would bring some spray (and read the instructions before you see a bear, LOL.) There's also been a wolf pack that was creating trouble earlier (even more rare.) I was up there for over two weeks and didn't see a single LF photographer. I came across two other guys shooting film; one a Leica shooter on a hike, and another had a 4x4 TLR (Premo Jr., 127 film!) All in all we enjoyed the waterfalls, glaciers, mountain views the most. I brought a macro lens for my Nikon and discovered a love for photo'ing fungus and lichen/moss. There is something for everyone there. Final advice on camera gear: pack light as less is more. I always have a small survival kit on backwoods hikes--Swiss Army knife, lighter, small drinking water filter, whistle, compass, small tarp & cord. Bring clothing along with you for any likely conditions, good boots and socks are a key. As you would anywhere, pay close attention to weather reports, check several times a day, and keep an eye on the sky and wind direction while you are out.

Kent in SD

I will visit the gallery, it must be a good one. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by redrockcoulee View Post
    When in the Banff towns it drop in the Sax and Willox gallery, Tom Willox is a large format photographer who primarily shot in Waterton and Banff.

If you are looking for a change from landscapes stop at Bankhead which is in the eastern portion of Banff NP for concrete ruins of a mining town

I have always been fond of going north to Lake Louise up Highway 1a just out side of Banff instead of the newer highway Trans Canada 1, slower, more wildlife way more pleasant.

David, Best of luck on your road trip! I will be heading west to at that time to Yosemite, Zion, Bryce Canyon and Canyonlands NPs - but I will look forward to speaking with you sometime about your experiences in the NPs you plan to visit as they are on my list for future trips. ....JMO
    ... JMOwens (Mt. Pleasant, Wisc. USA)

"If people only knew how hard I work to gain my mastery, it wouldn't seem so wonderful at all." ...Michelangelo

Yes, Highway 1A has amazing scenery and it is on our map.

Quote Originally Posted by cowanw View Post
    I have always been fond of going north to Lake Louise up Highway 1a just out side of Banff instead of the newer highway Trans Canada 1, slower, more wildlife way more pleasant.

JMO: Thanks, Best of luck on your road trip too! Looking forward to seeing your prints from those national parks and talking with about my Banff visiting experience. David

Quote Originally Posted by JMO View Post
    David, Best of luck on your road trip! I will be heading west to at that time to Yosemite, Zion, Bryce Canyon and Canyonlands NPs - but I will look forward to speaking with you sometime about your experiences in the NPs you plan to visit as they are on my list for future trips. ....JMO

Quote Originally Posted by redrockcoulee View Post
    When in the Banff towns it drop in the Sax and Willox gallery, Tom Willox is a large format photographer who primarily shot in Waterton and Banff.

If you are looking for a change from landscapes stop at Bankhead which is in the eastern portion of Banff NP for concrete ruins of a mining town
    The gallery is on the 200 block of Bear Street (one off the main drag) & it's called the Willock & Sax Gallery. Also check out the Whyte Museum of the Canadian Rockies...never know what Craig Richards may have up.

Visited several galleries in Banff last week.
    1. Willock&Sax Gallery, it has a few black&white silver print photos, very beautiful
    2. Jason Bantle Galllery, it is a nature/animal gallery, all digitals, amazing photos
    3. Banff Mountain Art Gallery, it is a landscape gallery, all digitals, amazing photos
    4. Whyte museum, a few photographs, most items are related to Canadian Rockies exploration, saw a large format camera in display

Mount Rundle, Baff, Alberta, Canada

Quote Originally Posted by diversey View Post
    Mount Rundle, Baff, Alberta, Canada

Yet another reason I want to see this part of the world. Nice image.