Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Visit Banff, Jasper and Yoho NPs in early September

Re: Visit Banff, Jasper and Yoho NPs in early September

A very timely thread indeed and thankyou all for the wealth of information. My partner and I are going to finally get married for my sixtieth (two years away) and are going to visit Canada (bucket list item) to capture some of the amazing scenes on 4x5 using my Shen Hao. I am primarily a b&w amateur, preferring xray film to anything else, but will take some coloured film with me for places like whistler and banff. We intend doing the rail trip and hopefully be able to modifiy the itinerary to disembark and perhaps hire a car for more scenic areas.
    I wonder if there is a thread available to offer conveniences for travelling large format photographers. Not for this trip but I live in Queensland Australia and would love to have more learned large format photographers visit to glean experience from. I also have a darkroom and most facilities one would require. Ultimately my dream would be to have a small group stay and use our home as a base.

I'm originally from Queensland myself and immigrated to Canada over 20 years ago. The first 12 years were spent in the rockies and it is truly an amazing area to capture the grand landscape. I would definitely recommend a side trip up the Icefield parkway between lake lousie and Jasper. You can stay at a hotel at the athabasca glacier and once the tour buses leave at the end of the day it is quite amazing. Also Moraine lake is not to be missed. Another excellent photographer in the area is craig richards. His books and web galleries would provide a good reference for most LF photographers.

Have fun with the planning it is an amazing location.

By train, I assume you mean the Rocky Mountaineer from Vancouver to Banff/Canmore or Calgary or to Jasper. Rather than disembarking. you will go to the end and rent a car then to drive from Canmore to Jasper or vice versa
    If you mean the regular train, do the same but it wont be as nice.
    If you get to Ontario I would be happy to put you up and take you around, to Niagara Falls and such.

Quote Originally Posted by cowanw View Post
    By train, I assume you mean the Rocky Mountaineer from Vancouver to Banff/Canmore or Calgary or to Jasper. Rather than disembarking. you will go to the end and rent a car then to drive from Canmore to Jasper or vice versa
    If you mean the regular train, do the same but it wont be as nice.
    If you get to Ontario I would be happy to put you up and take you around, to Niagara Falls and such.
    I thank you for that wonderful offer, I have it in writing now (chuckle), thankyou all for the advice and destination suggestions. I think it was the train trip from Vancouver to Ontario? We have only just decided on the trip a couple of weeks ago, it is a place I always wanted to visit, indeed live at one time.
    I think the -5 winters here are enough for me though, but what a trip! Will be in touch, once again thank you all for your input and I will be marking the locations on our map and seeing how we can make it work.
    Kind regards Andrew

We visited Banff, Yoho and Jasper last September following members' suggestions in this thread. It will be free admission in all national parks in Canada this year (2017) for celebrating Canada 150 years birthday! You need have a day for hiking which will give you a wonderful experience in Canadian Rockies. We hiked in Mount Edith Cavell Trail in Jasper national park and enjoyed it very much.

Mount Edith Cavell, Jasper, Alberta, Canada (4x5, 400mm lens)

Angel Glacier, Mt. Edith Cavell, Jasper, Alberta, Canada (4x5, 400mm lens)

Ice Field Highway, Alberta, Canada (4x5, 150mm lens)

but you must never the less apply for and get a pass for the free admission.

New rail announcement, Between the ages of 12 and 25 to travel on all routes, as much as they want for the month of July for 150 dollars. Sadly not Sept.

Diversey they are great shots. Really inspiring, they make one feel kind of small and insignificant in the big picture, thankyou for sharing.

Thanks for your kind comments! Long lens is really helpful as Ray has suggested.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewch59 View Post
    Diversey they are great shots. Really inspiring, they make one feel kind of small and insignificant in the big picture, thankyou for sharing.

We visited Banff, Yoho and Jasper last September following members' suggestions in this thread. It will be free admission in all national parks in Canada this year (2017) for celebrating Canada 150 years birthday! You need have a day for hiking which will give you a wonderful experience in Canadian Rockies. We hiked in Mount Edith Cavell Trail in Jasper national park and enjoyed it very much.

I think you have to be a Canadian citizen to qualify for free admission.