Thread: Free 8x10 Eastman! & the nice folks @ J&C Photo

Free 8x10 Eastman! & the nice folks @ J&C Photo

Many of you stayed tuned for much of the unfolding "Pay it Forward" as Kirk Gittings, Kerry Thalmann, Darin Boville and others added to the generosity in kind. It is the best of the best in our hobby.

I have an update. All the pieces are in place for a May 6,7,8 trek to Deep Springs college and today, the exceptional folks at J&C PHOTO have donated 75 sheets of J&C 100 film to help the students get going on their new adventure.

I don't know about you.....but with yellow and white box both figuring out more ways to say no, I encourage all of you to visit the J&C website and see what these folks have to offer.

Personally, in the last six months, I've switched to EFKE 100, Pcat HD, and J&C Classic Museum grade papers developed in Ansco 135 as my best combination ever. I'm making the prints of a lifetime.

I've been a happy J&C customer for coming on two years now, after finding that they had film in stock and available to fit a (now) 70 year old plate camera -- and the film was inexpensive! I'm working on buying all my B&W film there -- if my current experiments work out, my 120 roll film will be covered, though it'll be a long time yet before I work through the two bulk rolls of Tri-X in 35 mm that I got a year or so ago. Meantime, I've currently got two boxes of TXP and one of Fomapan 100 that came from J&C (the TXP isn't a stock item, it was a special order that wasn't picked up, and is slightly expired; shouldn't be a problem).

J&C also supports "odd" formats and ULF up to 16x20. These guys, and the companies that produce the film they sell, will be our friends in the coming years.
    If a contact print at arm's length is too small to see, you need a bigger camera. :D

Octogenarian

Hi Jim,

Nice act of generosity from J&C. Did you guys approach any other dealers for a donation? Did anyone refuse to cooperate? Inquiring minds want to know.

That would be the difference between a giant company and a small company. The small company knows who butter's it's bread.

Good job guys. I hope the students there understand what was done for them.

Hi Eugene.

"Did you guys approach any other dealers for a donation?"

No. Never entered my mind. Still need chems, heavy tripod, spot meter, but these kids aren't exactly destitute.

The lens Kerry donated is interesting. "EY" 1940 Kodak 12" Anastigmat could have been sold the same day as the camera. It looks great on the camera.

I figure I better post a few regular reports to keep myself honest. All this stuff is so neat I'm tempted to keep it.

Jim,
    I have a functional but pretty beat up Bogen 3051 (the drop leg one) tripod with a 3047 head that I would be willing to part with. The question is whether it is srong enough for athat 8x10. I actually don't think so. If I remember correctly I tried it once and decided that I needed a bigger tripod if I were going to use the 8x10. Let me know what you think.
    Kirk
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"