Thread: which camera?

which camera?

hi newbie here,

my goal for lf is to do strictly studio (head and shoulders and 3/4 portraits) and occassional landscape portraits. i am interested in 8x10 but i am planning to learn how to use lf with a sinar p 4x5.
    i eventually would like to try my hand at the massive barrel lenses for the old school effects using only 8x10 but i am wondering if a sinar p could handle the lens weight.

my question is:
    should i stay with the sinar p and convert it to an 8x10? or should i buy a different 8x10? if i buy another camera, i would like to buy an 8x10 field camera as i cannot carry around those massive old studio cameras/stands with me. i travel and can deal with the sinar p's weight. so, i've narrowed it down to three other 8x10's.

-kodak 2d
    -kodak master view
    -wehman 8x10 (front standard does not look like it could support those antique heavy lenses)

are there any other cameras out there within a $2000 budget limit that i have overlooked and that have really long bellows extension?
    right now, it seems that the sinar p could handle the bellows extension issue (up to 36" inches i believe with two connected bellows) but i'm not sure about putting a massive lens (say 9lbs) on it. or can it handle those as well?

thanks for any help!

Re: which camera?

What about an Agfa Ansco, the best of their 10x8's has 36.5 inch bellows extension, with triple extension, and has full movements.

I've PM'ed you a link.

Ian

before you buy, have a look at this page, if you've $2000, you could easy make a camera to your own specs , which will do what you want: my protrait camera is half plate, with a large russian lens, you can find it under my name in his list of camera builders http://home.online.no/~gjon/index.htm

bob

Quote Originally Posted by robert fallis View Post
    before you buy, have a look at this page, if you've $2000, you could easy make a camera to your own specs , which will do what you want: my protrait camera is half plate, with a large russian lens, you can find it under my name in his list of camera builders http://home.online.no/~gjon/index.htm

bob
    New URL: http://jongrepstad.com/

The camera builders page will be available by the end of October.

Jon Grepstad