Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Purchase of 4x5

New Purchase of 4x5

Thank you for the many helpful responses. The reason I looked into a rail-type camera was price. I did think about moving the beast around. Most of what I like to do is go off the beaten path. I live in New Mexico and I'm often chasing light.

I'll compare some of the field cameras many have suggested. Thank you for the informed comments and suggestions.

TGF

New Purchase of 4x5

Tom;
    I have to jump in here with John & Bill. This is coming from a guy with a 4x5 monorail in his basement "studio" and three field cameras in the storage locker. My most used camera is a Crown Graphic. It packs up very small with three lenses and it's still very lightweight.

You mention off the beaten path. This is where the Crown shines. Most landscape needs very little movement which is good because the Graphic won't give you much. The tiny lenses are a joy to carry compared to a 3 pound XLCH Super Cosmic. If you were "disappointed with the results" it was not the camera.

Is the ground glass and fresnel in the proper position? Other's asked about cams etc. Check the camera and lens carefully.

For back country travel you can't beat a CG. I take mine all over the country on a motorcycle. John ski's with his. Think about it, check out the camera and reconsider.

New Purchase of 4x5

I use a "field monorail" camera, which also happens to be extremely light weight. It's from a Japanese company called Toho (with an "h" not a "y"). The particular camera I'm using is the FC-45x which I've modified a bit. I replaced the tripod mount with an arca-swiss quick release plate, and added levels. It weighs less than 3 lbs, and has full movements front and back.

I've been using mine for more than two years now, and have been very happy with it, with lens from 80mm to 360mm (with a top-hat style extender board). If a rail based field camera is what you are looking for, you should definitely consider the Toho.

Bruce Watson

New Purchase of 4x5

I shoot two Crowns and the only reason I would have to buy anything different would be to shoot architecture. Tell us your problems. I'm sure you could be satisfied in some way, unless your equipment jonesing.