Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Inspiration - twice a year

Inspiration - twice a year

I expect that in our formative years most of us have had some specific inspiration to whet our interest in photography.
    For some of the lucky ones it may be a group trip to some museum or gallery to see a magnificant display of prints by Adams or Karsh. In my case it was probably the really BAD examples featured in the pages of Popular (or Modern) Photography, or even worse, U.S. Camera. Perhaps, as a budding teen-aged scientist I was actually more intrigued by the process than by the final product.
    Eventually, I have traveled over much of the Western World, and enjoyed shows, both public and private, of many great photographs, and even managed to amass a nice personal collection of images (famous and otherwise). But while these may give great pleasure, they are not truly inspirational to get out and make some photographs for myself.
    What really IS inspirational to me is watching the twice-a-year Sweeps Week local PBS screening of Ken Burns' "The Civil War!" Such magnificant images!
    Man -- hour after hour of images which are not pretty pictures, but as a collection really mean something to the records of our civilization. It makes me want to grab a Speed Graphic or a Leica and go out there and do something truly worthwhile (photographically speaking).
    A ridiculous thought, of course, (considering my age and infirmity), but it sure is nice to have this magnificant inspiration to automatically get my photography juices flowing, like a young Timothy O'Sullivan or William Henry Jackson.
    I can still dream.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Re: Inspiration - twice a year

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_1856 View Post
    What really IS inspirational to me is watching the twice-a-year Sweeps Week local PBS screening of Ken Burns' "The Civil War!"
    Time with Ken Burns was one of Ted's perennial Projects to Get Around To -- he lives here, maybe 20 miles (tops) north of where the FFW gang wandered around in Southern NH/VT. Considering that only a fraction of the material Burns has seen gets into his films, Ted always thought that if we could get him to bring along nothing more than the sweepings from his cutting room floor and the experiences he's had handling all of the photographs he's researched, it would have been an amazing seminar.

Richard M. Coda

I have been doing a series on "Inspirations" on my blog. Some are quite obvious, others a little less so. Anyway, it's a good exercise and it makes you think about why you make certain images.

Inspirations
    Photographs by Richard M. Coda
    my blog
    Primordial: 2010 - Photographs of the Arizona Monsoon
    "Speak softly and carry an 8x10"
    "I shoot a HYBRID - Arca/Canham 11x14"

Bill,

What got me interested in photography was a coffee table my grandma had with pictures (under glass) of her family, some I know and many I don't. I have that table now and the images I make that mean the most to me are ones that impart the historical / documentary feel I got from looking at the photos in that table.

I've made my share of barn photos. In most cases they have already been torn down to make way for an industrial park, subdivision etc. I doubt my photos will amount to much historically speaking, what with so many people out there snapping away, the shear numbers work against that happening, but it is what satisfies me.

chris

Dave Karp

My Dad has always been an avid photographer, so perhaps my initial inspiration was just to do something like him, or perhaps with him. Quickly though, I came to really enjoy photography and working in the darkroom.

Early on, I loved sports photography. I would take photos of high school football games. Since I ran track, I would drag the FTb with me (I still have it and sometimes use it by the way), and make photos between and after I was done running my events.

Later, AA's series inspired me by showing me that there were other things to photograph besides sports and family events. For some reason, it never occurred to me to photograph the landscape, or architecture, or anything for art purposes. That opened up whole new worlds for me, and ultimately led me to my LF camera(s) and the things I am doing now.

I don't care if they are important. I just like photographing whatever it is I want to photograph.

My son, Evan, just made an incredibly beautiful film about our little town of Swanzey, NH (pop 7,300). He blew 1,000 people out the back of the auditorium when we screened it May 30. We've sold almost that many DVDs to benefit the town.

His advisor for the project (a high school requirement) was Erik Ewers, Ken Burns's Emmy-award winning editor and sound editor. Erik asked Evan to come work in the Burns shop as an intern in August, befoire Evan goes off to film school.

When Evan visited Florentine Films the other day, Erik took him into a crowded conference room where a bunch of people were eating a working lunch. They cheered Evan for his film, and went around the table introducing themselves. The last guy at the head of the table said "Hi, I'm Ken," and then chomped his sandwich. It gets no better for an 18-year-old budding filmmaker.
    Last edited by Bruce Barlow; 9-Jul-2009 at 04:23. Reason: pfat pfingers kant spel gud.
    Bruce Barlow
    author of "Finely Focused" and "Exercises in Photographic Composition"
    www.brucewbarlow.com

Quote Originally Posted by Richard M. Coda View Post
    I have been doing a series on "Inspirations" on my blog. Some are quite obvious, others a little less so. Anyway, it's a good exercise and it makes you think about why you make certain images.

Inspirations
    I read your "Inspirations" series and it inspired me to go through more of your blog. A very interesting and enjoyable blog - and some excellent photography as well. Thanks.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Wilhelm,
    The Burns film is awesum, but before there was Burns, there were the images, the writing and the music. The Civil Was was one of the first historic events in the U.S. that has been preserved in all three dimensions and that makes it near and dear to US citizens. The Revolutionary War exists in "stimulating" (would that be the correct word?) history be means of "Yankee Doodle" and a few heroic paintings, mostly done long after the fact.
    Not until photography came on the scene to visually document historic turning points do we find the study of history (and indeed our own history) so popular.
    There is a great loss when each generation passes. WW2 and Great Depression survivors are disappearing quickly these days, and along with them the oral accounts of what happened but hopefully the snap shots they took will be preserved for some future Ken Burns to unite with writings and music into a fascinating glimpse into the rear-view mirror of life.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

The Ken Burns' Civil War epic prompted me last fall to visit Gettysburg and some other CW battlefield sites around Washington. We watch it also just before leaving on the trip. It was my first time at any of these sites and I have to say that having that series playing in my thoughts made the whole experience much more profound.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Bill, I really enjoyed what you had to say...I also enjoyed the other comments. For me the inspiration to photograph came from viewing some of Howard Bond's work. Sadly I must now admit this was only a beginning and off on the wrong track as I see it today. So many photographers are into making those "pretty" pictures that you mentioned. While those may be beautiful and in some cases awe inspiring, they have very little to do with man and the conditions of man's life. Before one can run on a track they must find a track to run on. In my opinion "pretty pictures" is not where it is at.