Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Favorite "analogue" paper & why.

Re: Favorite "analogue" paper & why.

Currently: Ilford Multigrade Classic FB - souped in Moersch 4812. This combo offers great D-Max and a brilliance which to me mimics the addition of a restrainer. Highlight protection achieved with Pyro developers for films. Also, Ilford Multigrade Warmtone FB - souped in Moersch SE-6. A bit counterintuitive...but gives me brilliance and depth - and a "KRST-ish" tonality.

In Another Life: The "Old" Oriental fiber (graded) - souped in sequence: first in Selectol, then Dektol - timing each to fine tune contrast. Amazing!
    Also...the "Old" Agfa Portriga (graded) - souped in Dektol or LPD - for a "strident" (not mushy) warmth and tonal depth which remains unmatched...but I can get very close currently with the Ilford Warmtone/Morsch SE-6 combo.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Thanks Stone; but I only have enough chem on hand for my own remaining frozen stash of 20x24 CPM Ciba. The concentrated P3 chem itself is probably
    still fine, but even frozen the highlights in the paper might have drifted into crossover zone. No way of knowing until I start color printing again, which certainly
    won't be this year at all. Got way too many pre-retirement chores going on, though the lab itself is pretty much ready to go with its upgrades, other than reconfiguring a work station or two for eventual dye transfer printing. I've got quite a backlog of both drymounting and RA4 printing once I do retire from the day
    job.
    The Developer Chems are still available fresh (at least past B and part C) you don't need old stock developer so that's no issue I'll spend the $40 + $30 for it

So we are good? This is a yes since the Chems are taken care of?

We can PM if you're willing to make them if I can get you the chemistry.

Drew Wiley

Bleach is the problem. Basically sulfuric acid, so tricky to ship just anywhere. If you need me to print something, the paper first has to be balanced, which tends to be a rapidly moving target once the paper is old. It shifts balance rather quickly once thawed; and the whole box has to be used up within a three months or so.
    I don't know if I'm even going to get a chance to print Ciba again. The last of it is intended for a handful of key 8x10 images of my own.

Yikes!
    Having set aside a pretty good stash, I haven't bought printing paper in quite awhile.
    Imagine my surprise to find one of my favorites, Fomabrom 111 no longer available---gone like last week's pay, next month's rent and real rock and roll----gone like a freight train, gone like yesterday, gone like a soldier in the Civil War bang-bang.
    What a revolting development.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

I buy outdated FB paper in sealed boxes at bargain prices. More than half not good but the other half with all its silver just a pleasure to use. I've used really outdated Brovira, Varilour, and Varigram with excellent results. If the paper's no good I just use to make Chemigrams with.

When I print silver gelatin I use only the original Oriental Seagull in the blue box. It has a more pleasing scale, along with velvety blacks and nice clear whites. Ihave tried newer Seagull, Ilford Multigrade, Adox and a few others, but stay with this one.

multiplex

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    When I print silver gelatin I use only the original Oriental Seagull in the blue box. It has a more pleasing scale, along with velvety blacks and nice clear whites. Ihave tried newer Seagull, Ilford Multigrade, Adox and a few others, but stay with this one.
    hi jim,

i still have a few sheets left of that stuff, bought in the 80s. ( random 8x10 and a few 11x14 ) it was all i printed on for years. they used to say it had more silver than any other paper ,,,
    im not sure what it was --- i agree, a really nice rendition. if they still made it today i am sure it would cost a forutune, it was the most expensive thing sold between 84-90.

I really like Adox MCC in moersch eco 4812. I tone in moersch mt5 and like the results even more.

Drew Wiley

Yeah ... I should probably use up my own remaining sheets of 20x24 Seagull G before they're too old, if they aren't already. That was my go-to paper for quite a stretch. The reintroduced version just didn't have the same snap, and their VC versions were disappointing. Adox MCC is a nice paper for certain subjects; but I
    find it somewhat lacking in flexibility toning-wise.

I'm fortunate to have a stash of the "old" Portriga Rapid in the 111 glossy finish - PRK-PRN-PRW. My favorite paper by far - great warm color, exceptional midtone contrast and beautiful creamy whites. I've had it frozen for many years and still prints like it did back in the 80's. I'm a graded paper guy and I develop in Dr. Beers which allows me some degree of contrast control as well. My second choices are the current Ilford warmtone fiber and Platinum-Palladium on COT 320.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2185.JPG 
Views:	10 
Size:	102.7 KB 
ID:	152333