Thread: help me brainstorm an exposure...

help me brainstorm an exposure...

I really like the way lightbulbs look. I want to try and take pictures of somewhat transparent things like plastic shoping bags and newspapers and still have the outline of the bulb visible...anyone think this is possible? It difuses the bulb too much even with newspaper....i built a cardboard box to stick the bulb in it and then put the newspaper or shirt or whatever in front, that didnt work...maybe I could use a lens to project the image of the bulb onto things? Anyone know any wierd tricks that would help me? I know that some wierd thing happens when you take a picture through completely closed venetian blinds and stop the camera down a lot and expose for a long time you can get an image of the room behind the blinds x-ray like...can anyone explain how this happens? Im thinking that could help me make these pictures...

The first thing I would do is get a dimmer for the light bulb. Seems like a double exposure would do the trick.

A double exposure sounds a good idea to achieve the effect.

As to the venetian blinds, are the edges of each strip overlap? If there are narrow gaps between them, the x-ray effect is due to diffraction as caused by a very small aperture, maybe? A long exposure may allow enough diffracted light to reach the film. Just a thought.

Try using a clear bulb.

CP Goerz

If I'm envisioning your objective correctly, Jack, I think you'll need a separate light source, either collimated (e.g. a fresnel) or a point source behind the bulb, as the primary lighting, along with a clear bulb on a dimmer to get the balance right. I don't think the bare bulb will project an image of itself onto the translucent surface.

Another option would be to photograph the bulb, creating a slide that could be projected against the front or back of the object.

I agree with Ralph, I would backlight the bulb so it cast a silohette on the back side of the newspaper and thenI would light the subect with a different souce. Juast my opinin , would have to play around with it.