Thread: barrel lenses

barrel lenses

Just ran onto a couple of barrel lenses, good glass and cheap.
    1. Gortz berlin 420 f5 dogmar
    2.Hugo Meyers & co Gorlitz Dopple-plasmat f-5.5. 48cm front element unscrews and is marked f-11 83cm. just wondering if they were any good. I'm looking at lenses for 8x10, I don't think though I'll be able to use the 83cm part though. John Berry

barrel lenses

The Goerz Dogmar is composed of four individual elements so has eight air to glass surfaces. Uncoated, as this one would be since Goerz ceased lens manufacture in Berlin about WWI time, this means that the user has to be extra careful to avoid flare and that contrast will be reduced somewhat. Other than that it is a fine lens, although a big and heavy one which would be a problem on some lighter cameras.

The Planar could be much newer, but is probably still uncoated and would have the same problems as the Dogmar. Since both lenses have quite long focal lengths for the 8" X 10" format and big image circles, without particularly careful compendium lens shade adjustment there would be a lot of extra light entering the camera, reducing contrast and possibly causing other mischief. The Planar more so than the Dogmar.

barrel lenses

Thanks, I assumed that with the focal lengths the IC would be large enough. I usually have a shade on everything. Glad to hear the coverage is large enought o worry about bellows flair. If I ever step up to ULF I might already have lenses for it. Any info on image circles? Other than having the people who built the Brooklyn bridge make the front standard , it looks like they would be fun to play with. Since I had a pacemaker put in last summer, I don't think backpacing is going to be a concern. LOLThanks, John

barrel lenses

That dopple plasmat should be excellent. Expecially if you decide you need a 16X20 camera. 48 cm combined is huge. It's in the same class as a 19" Dagor as far as coverage so it would have some real value to the ULF crowd. Jump on it.

barrel lenses

Dun jumped. Both lenses clear, no scratches, no fog, no seperation, no fungus. I'm a happy man.
    John