Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Off to the Redwoods...

Drew Wiley

Re: Off to the Redwoods...

I'll tip off the Bigfoot hunters that there's another potential sighting!

Last internet check before I am off-line for 5 days!

Tim -- we can only hope and get real mellow...
    Garrett -- I live in the same climate as where I am going (just 40 miles up the highway). Next month I'll get into the heat when I pack into my old wilderness (Yolla Bollys)!
    Toyo -- that is why I bought a smaller pack! No more 90 pounders for me! That was a couple decades ago! Of course carrying the 4x5 on the pod over my shoulder with the pack on sort of defeats the concept of a smaller pack (but the pack itself weighs less!)
    Drew -- maybe I should forget about the skinny-dipping then...

The only stops I'll make are at the Visitor Center to get my permit and perhaps a stop to get some rattlesnake medicine. I have always found that drinking a couple ounces of snakebite medicine around the fire at night keeps the rattlesnakes away. Scotland makes some good medicine...

Until next week!
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Be safe!

I made it back! Used up all my 4x5 film, but used only 2.5 rolls of Tri-X in the Rolleicord. Might try to get something developed tonight. I had still air in the mornings and windy mid-day onwards. The mosquitos obnoxious from late afternoon until dark -- and always busy under the redwoods -- less so on the creek bed. I was enjoying a bug-free moment up above the creek when a fawn wandered by about 4 feet away -- then the mom noticed me, huffed, and all took off...leaving me with all the mosquitos that had been following them around. I had to leave, too! I saw elk, otters, deer, and a wonderful hatching of some sort of gnat that filled the air above the creek. No eagles this time, but a group of vultures took interest in the black shrouded figure on the creek bar -- I waved to them to let them know I was not quite dead yet...in fact feeling much better...

I took ten 4x5 film holders. Mistakes cost me three sheets (15%!) -- my first mistake of the trip was reading my meter wrong -- the exposure time was 30 seconds...not the 30 minutes I gave it. I was using Tech Pan at ASA 16 at f/16 under the redwoods and 30 minutes sounded reasonable. I left the lens open on one sheet and pulled the wrong darkslide on another (working from the front of the camera). So it goes. We'll see what I'll get. I pushed a few things/ideas, so I'll see if they worked.

Very light rain one night -- got to set-up and try out my new MSR shelter (just a fancy tarp) for the first time. Not too bad. I was hoping for some early morning fog, but got mostly sunshine as any fog moved out by sunrise. Only a few lonely rhododendron flowers left from the spring. Found a couple of early ripe berries. Saw a couple people the first day and several people on my last day -- had the creek and the mosquitos to myself for the 4 days in between. All-in-all, a great trip -- and as a bonus, I called in and I did not have to report for jury duty this morning!
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Welcome back!

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    I made it back! Used up all my 4x5 film, but used only 2.5 rolls of Tri-X in the Rolleicord. Might try to get something developed tonight. I had still air in the mornings and windy mid-day onwards. The mosquitos obnoxious from late afternoon until dark -- and always busy under the redwoods -- less so on the creek bed. I was enjoying a bug-free moment up above the creek when a fawn wandered by about 4 feet away -- then the mom noticed me, huffed, and all took off...leaving me with all the mosquitos that had been following them around. I had to leave, too! I saw elk, otters, deer, and a wonderful hatching of some sort of gnat that filled the air above the creek. No eagles this time, but a group of vultures took interest in the black shrouded figure on the creek bar -- I waved to them to let them know I was not quite dead yet...in fact feeling much better...

I took ten 4x5 film holders. Mistakes cost me three sheets (15%!) -- my first mistake of the trip was reading my meter wrong -- the exposure time was 30 seconds...not the 30 minutes I gave it. I was using Tech Pan at ASA 16 at f/16 under the redwoods and 30 minutes sounded reasonable. I left the lens open on one sheet and pulled the wrong darkslide on another (working from the front of the camera). So it goes. We'll see what I'll get. I pushed a few things/ideas, so I'll see if they worked.

Very light rain one night -- got to set-up and try out my new MSR shelter (just a fancy tarp) for the first time. Not too bad. I was hoping for some early morning fog, but got mostly sunshine as any fog moved out by sunrise. Only a few lonely rhododendron flowers left from the spring. Found a couple of early ripe berries. Saw a couple people the first day and several people on my last day -- had the creek and the mosquitos to myself for the 4 days in between. All-in-all, a great trip -- and as a bonus, I called in and I did not have to report for jury duty this morning!
    Sounds like an awesome experience.
    It is such times that refresh our spirits.
    I am looking forward to your results
    T

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

Vaughn, welcome home. Sounds like a good trip. Hope the results are what you expect.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    I took ten 4x5 film holders. Mistakes cost me three sheets (15%!) -- my first mistake of the trip was reading my meter wrong -- the exposure time was 30 seconds...not the 30 minutes I gave it. I was using Tech Pan at ASA 16 at f/16 under the redwoods and 30 minutes sounded reasonable.
    Let's see, If my calculation is right that's 2/3 stop less than 100 times the necessary exposure... even without reciprocity law failure. That's not much worse than placing Zone I on Zone VI which I did not so long ago. I printed such a negative a couple weeks ago... (Developed N-1) My highest density on negative is 1.8 in the clouds. It printed fine on Grade 2

Off again!!!

I am off for a couple more nights of backpacking in Redwood Nat. Park tomorrow -- taking the 4x5 and six holders of Tech Pan. Also taking one of my boys -- Bryce, just got home from a year in Bolivia and a couple nights out will help readjusting to CA culture and the English language! I'll leave the Rolleicord home this time. Last month's solo trip (for 6 days) in the same place, I took both cameras, all told -- 22 pounds of photo-related stuff. By leaving the Rollei & film at home, and taking six 4x5 holders instead of ten, this trip's camera gear will be around 17 to 18 pounds. If I load up the kid with the food and stove, this will be a walk in the park!

My tripod and head weigh 7 pounds (old Gitzo Al. 300 series w/ Bogan 3-way head). For several hundred $$$ I could up grade to a carbon fiber and knock 3 or so pounds off there, but it is nice having a pod I feel I could knock a bear's nose with and get his/her attention!

Bill -- I had direct sunlight drifting slowly through the otherwise dark scene -- that negative most likely will be toast. I will try to reduce my percentage of errors this trip!

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

Awesome! Enjoy. If we weren't getting ready for a trip June and I could make a trip down.