Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Just curious but what the most you have ever sold a B&W Landscape print for?

Re: Just curious but what the most you have ever sold a B&W Landscape print for?

I think the Clyde Butcher and Bob Carnies prices are more real world examples. It's all too easy to get sucked into trying to do the "Art market" thing of ramping up prices without looking carefully at who you are actually selling to. Since I live in a backwater where we don't have lots of wealthy people with money to burn, I wouldn't expect to be able to command any high prices. Infact I did put a couple of 20x24 frame size prints in a local open exhibition a few years ago and priced them at £250 each. The gallery told me they were too expensive which I thought was rediculous when you consider how much time and effort goes into making a single print. It's a full day just being out to capture the image and you'll likely spend another day printing and framing it. With all the expenses involved in that, fuel and materials and equipment and the gallery thinks that £125 a day is too much to ask. It just goes to show that some galleries and buyers are clueless about what these things cost to make let alone being able to take a small profit out of it. I rekon you should always be careful not to under sell your work but also not to over price it for your market.

p.s. They didn't sell and I don't suppose I'll ever know why. i.e. whether they were over priced or people just didn't like them enough although the gallery visitors comments book did have some nice comments about them.

Drew Wiley

Re: Just curious but what the most you have ever sold a B&W Landscape print for?

Statistically, relatively few galleries have realistic business plans to begin with, and tend to bleed money until it's no longer feasible, so it's not likely any individual photographer has good odds with them either. There are a few exceptions. It's a lot like the restaurant business. In this city we have more restaurants per capita than any other city in the US, with tremendous variety, and some very famous restaurants. I even had a friend that did so well in just three years that he retired for life on the proceeds, at least until he got bored an opened another very successful restaurant. But the odds are only 20%. Within six month to a year, 80% of local restaurants fail. These locations turn over so fast that a major source of city tax revenue consists of start-up fees for restaurants. For instance, they want $6000 just to turn the water on in a new restaurant. Then inspection fees etc etc. By contrast, they charge galleries zero, once beyond a minor business license fee of around $150. There are a few very successful art dealers selling out of their homes or via appointment only galleries. But if you
    have exceptional work, there is absolutely no sense underpricing it. People either like your work or they don't. In wealthy towns I always overpriced, simply
    because millionaires and billionaires tended to haggle or bargain for multiple images, so the wiggle room was built in. But I always did my own framing, so
    even the presentation stood out.