Thread: Civil War Pretenders

Foamer

Civil War Pretenders

1. I've been taking a few photos of the Civil War guys over the past several years, but there just aren't that many where I live. I do like it though, and may start going to Kansas City some for this. I took a few shots the previous weekend using my Chamonix 045n (lightweight, fast set up) and a 5 in. CC Harrison Petzval dated to 1851. I used a 3-stop dark blue and 4-stop ND filter to give me 1/2 and 1s exposures on Efke 25. I got more hits than misses, which only encourages me. I love the summer festivals in general and find the Civil War guys to be a lot of fun.

2. The CC Harrison is obviously a quarter plate lens, but I have five or six other lenses 1845-1865. My longest is a 12 inch E.G. Wood pillbox, from ~1854. The second longest is an 1865 Voigtlander Petzval. I believe it is six or seven inch FL (dimensions are 60mm rear diameter and 11cm long w/o hood.) Both of these are too heavy for my little Chamonix, but my 1926 Gundlach Korona 5x7 would definitely hold them OK. (I have both 4x5 & 5x7 backs). The Korona is pretty solid but still folds up fairly nicely. I am thinking of using these lenses because my quarterplate lenses aren't giving me quite what I want (close.) The Voigtlander has a slot so I could make some stops for it. I'm finding I could use more DoF with group shots. I have a working Packard shutter for the Korona (1/25s). Not sure if the Voigtlander will cover 5x7--I start getting some severe aberrations around the edge even with 4x5. What length of Petzval would I need for 5x7?

3. I've been using Efke 25, partly to get slow exposure, and partly because I like the look. There are two guys in my area that do wet plate. The one to the south seems to have blown me off, but there is still a guy to my north, and he has done the Civil War guys in the past. I'm thinking of seeing if he might teach me wet plate, or at least let me see if this is something i might do. My other thought was Calotype/salt negs. I know those were still in use in the early 1860s, and it looks easier than wet plate. I'd really like dry plates as they are faster in the field, but those sound like even more work. Mostly I'm after the look and the slow exposure speeds. I'm not sure how deep I want to get into it though. It's really a slow process. Since I have some truly great quarter plate lenses, it's not out of the question for me to get a quarter plate camera from Star or somebody. Have to see how it goes. Don't think I want to do 5x7 wetplate just yet due to cost

4. A couple of shots from last weekend. I'd appreciate any thoughts/help.

Kent in SD
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CCHbradCannon2m.jpg   CCHsoldiersM.jpg  
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Re: Civil War Pretenders

Very nicely done! It hadn't occurred to me to try to get very long exposures via ND. Did that make focusing difficult?

4x5 film holders get converted to hold a smaller size plate. You might be OK with quarter plate after all.

Foamer

Quote Originally Posted by jp View Post
    4x5 film holders get converted to hold a smaller size plate. You might be OK with quarter plate after all.

I'm thinking of not using the Chamonix or Korona for wet plate--I'm afraid of caustic chemicals leaking onto the camera. Not sure how leaky the newer holders are though. As for ND filter, I focus first, then tape the filter in place over the lens.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria

What you are doing looks great .I've been shooting Ilford MG4 paper in camera to get a similar look,it's blue sensitive and I rate it at about ISO 6. Could save your ND and blue filtering, plus can be handled under red filtered light.Just a thought...

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Quote Originally Posted by Two23 View Post
    Civil War Pretenders
    Darn, I was hoping for Chrissie Hynde in a Civil War uniform...

Quote Originally Posted by Two23 View Post
    I'm thinking of not using the Chamonix or Korona for wet plate--I'm afraid of caustic chemicals leaking onto the camera. Not sure how leaky the newer holders are though. As for ND filter, I focus first, then tape the filter in place over the lens.
    Don't worry about it, any little drips will stay within the film holder. I've shot over a thousand plates without a drip touching the camera.
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Foamer

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sawyer View Post

Don't worry about it, any little drips will stay within the film holder. I've shot over a thousand plates without a drip touching the camera.

Which holder is this?

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria

Any converted film holder.
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sawyer View Post
    Darn, I was hoping for Chrissie Hynde in a Civil War uniform...
    Brass in Pockets?

Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    Brass in Pockets?