Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: changing bag vs. changing tent

changing bag vs. changing tent

I have both a bag & the Photoflex tent (they were sold at nice-price from Freestyle, LA some years ago, don't know if they stills tock them). Major difference is that the tent allow you to clean the film-holders properly with a brush befor reloading + much more easier to reload the bigger - several-part grafmatics (telescopic holder + six septums going everywhere...) than when using the bag. Easy to fold up with clever spring-steel-ribs -construction, and when packed down in the round transport-pancake-case it comes with, it's well protected & can go anywhere w/o getting damaged.

The old-style changing bag will leave dust on your film. Not good! My early experiences with them made me decide to never go near them again. The tent-style ones (I have a Calumet) are far superior. The motel bathroom with the window covered is even better but not very portable...

I also have a calumet changing room and I find it works well. A changing bag would be too comstraining.

Oh, I forgot to mention... if you have kitties, don't leave your open changing tent on the floor or else you'll find a very happy feline snuggled inside. And once they've had a taste for the changing tent, it starts some sort of strange addiction which means that if I leave it unattended for a second, some sort of 'kitty alert' inaudible to human ears goes off and in they sneak!

The vacuum hose attachment is a must have accessory to any changing tent

I change out my film in broad daylight. It does take some practice to get fast enough though...

I must be the odd one here but I've always used a changing bag when a dark room is unavailable.

Folds up super small. Your stack of film holders serves to hold up the fabric a bit to give you a little room. I unload my holders, take them out of the bag, blow the dust off of them, reverse the darkslide, put them back in the bag.

Easily do 8-12 holders in a batch in a small-ish bag.

Never had serious dust problems.

--Darin (about ready to dive back into the bag in a few minutes)

www.darinboville.com

As Mike and Dan posted here, you can make quite a decent small 'tent' out of a large-sized (27" x 30") 'flat' dark bag...

I made the frame for mine using two lengths of 1/8" fiberglass rod inserted into holes at the ends of a pair of 3/8" x 1/2" hardwood runners. The runners are pulled towards each other by two triangles of nylon blind cord that, when clipped together, provide tension and create the 'arc' in the rods.
    To make it more compact, the rods can be cut and made into socketed halves using a short length of brass tube epoxied on one end. The whole thing folds up into a small parcel 15" x 3" weighing half a pound, and the total cost was about $32.

I'd post photos here if you're interested, just tell me how..

Now back to practising changing my 4x5 film holders in it. Plenty of time for this -- it's raining cats and dogs outside!

'I change out my film in broad daylight. It does take some practice to get fast enough though...'

LOL Chris!

Doesn't Harrison make a very large tent that will accommodate 12x20 film holders?