Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 10x8 homebrew film holder/darkslide?

10x8 homebrew film holder/darkslide?

Anyone made such an animal and would care to share the details? In particular, what are good materials for the dark slide itself? As always, I'm on a restricted budget for this and don't really want to fork out a hundred bucks for a single darkslide, as I'll have to build the camera as well.

I want to play with 8x10 x-ray film with either pinhole or a lens, and the latter requires some sort of focussing and ideally a camera that isn't restricted to a single shot in a shoebox!

Thanks,

Neil

Re: 10x8 homebrew film holder/darkslide?

IMO, for a format as common as 8x10", building a film holder doesn't make any sense. Used film holders are easily available, starting at $30. You can't beat that.

At $30, no argument. I was seeing prices significantly greater, but I'll keep an eye out.

Thanks.

Neil

Your endeavor, however laudable, is bound to fail. Suck it up and find a manufactured back compatible with the format, and a standard film holder and be happy.

Vancouver (Burnaby), BC, Canada & Hong Kong, HK

I'm used to seeing prices around $100 (CAD) per holder, but I think that if I were to try to make one, it wouldn't work and would cost more.

However, I won't dare tell you to suck it up - no need

Nobody seems very interested in making holders. I'm not sure why, as developing a process and tooling up would make it easily possible to fabricate any format holder, and given the prices of ULF holders, such an investment might easily pay for itself. To mass produce stock you would need two or three shaper bits. Otherwise, take an old wooden 4x5 holder apart and duplicate the parts in 8x10, but it will be a lot of work for a one-off.

If you just want something to use, it would be easiest to make a holder ignoring standards, but then you will need to make the back to fit the holder, so the ground glass is in the correct plane.

Old derelict 8x10 cameras can be found for little cost. They have found me a few times. All you need is the removable back. Ugly 8x10 film holders go for low cost. Look for older wooden ones too, they are reasonably priced. Caution, dipping your toe into the 8x10 waters can lead to further immersion into 8x10.

The theory is to make something big enough for Granddaughter to make a couple of images with. It may still end up as a biscuit tin and a pinhole!

Tim's idea of ignoring standards is what I was working on; there seem to be so many to choose from... one piece of Tufnol for the back, one for the slide, two F-shaped bits to hold the film, one F-shaped bit to tape a hinge to, and a haven't-quite-worked-the-shape-out-yet shaped bit to let the dark slide in and out. Replicate much of that to make a double sided holder.

It's still not a plan, though, yet, more of a mental experiment.

Neil

The pile side of velcro can (apparently) be used as a light trap for the dark slide. I say apparently because I've heard of doing that, but never done it myself.

multiplex

i've made them before ...
    book style
    there is a "mask" that folds over the film ( or paper ) that folds over from one side .
    and another thicker piece that folds over from the other
    both the back material and the topmost fold-over are made of
    4ply mat board, the mask is made of 1ply. the dark slide is made of 1 ply and slides between the 2 layers.
    i've made these for 11x14 as well as smaller sizes, and used them with film as well as paper, glass and metal
    they don't leak and are easy to make ..