Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Mercury, a universal camera

Re: The Mercury, a universal camera

The Kickstart photos just plain suck. I would think that someone proposing a camera product could make more presentable images. I've other reservations regarding the project, but they have been presented and I'm sure more will follow.

Ken, the basic body that has been initially developed doesn't have movements, but because the camera is modular, that is a definite possibility for the future if there is demand!

Bob, no relation to the old '50s Mercury! I knew someone would be sharp enough to mention that one!

Randy, thanks for your comment on the movie! We wanted to do something very different that would explore the idea of a universal camera. We will also post some simple videos going over the camera in more detail in the coming weeks. Yes, I'd be willing to do a custom pledge for just the Graflok 23 Instax Wide back. Just message me via Kickstarter.

Dan, check out either of the galleries I linked to in my above post for more photos of the 4x5 back. There was only so much we could cram into the Kickstarter page! I'll add this, though: our prototypes are all 3D printed, and the 4x5 back doesn't print very well due to its shape, size, and design. The final version will be molded; hence the need of a Kickstarter campaign in the first place. But the photos will definitely give you a good idea of the design.

Can you share the market-share research? IMHO, there is not a sufficient market. You can live eating beans and rice while your customers enjoy steak, and eventually you starve to death.

Quote Originally Posted by zhorton View Post
    Hi Pfsor, I thought the photos were clear enough, but perhaps the resolution that Kickstarter displays them at is a bit inadequate. There are many more photos on the official site (still in beta here). But I've now added a full gallery on Flickr that you can view at much higher resolution, here.
    Not interested any more. Sorry again.

The objection to the images of your camera is not (I think) resolution, but selective focus and too much contrast.

Dear All, thank you for your interest and questions so far! I'm happy to address anything that comes up here. As I said at the outset, this is a fabulous community and your input is very important to the project.

Plywood brought up the Travelwide and the question of transparency and communication, so I want to address that directly. First, I am completely familiar with the problems that plagued that project, both technical and with regard to communication. Here's how we will avoid both of them. I think the technical problems were largely a result of launching too soon, before extensive testing had been completed. I can say that we have been working on the Mercury for two years, and I'm only launching the Kickstarter now that I feel confident that the system works and works well. I've tested every format it can shoot on, and tested over 50 lenses. Numerous re-designs have taken place. The complexity of a universal camera is not making a basic design, but designing an entire ecosystem of parts that all work well with each other, and with the existing equipment out there. The other big issue is materials and manufacturing. Certain parts are better off 3D printed than injection molded, and vice versa. For instance, injection molding a helical focusing device is, in my opinion, a major risk. It really brought down the Travelwide project. We are only planning to injection mold one of the pieces from our focus unit; the rest will be 3D printed. This adds a lot of time and expense, but is worth it to get a fully functioning device. On the other hand, the main body panels don't print well and are designed to be injection molded for a number of reasons. All along, I have designed the system to be a hybrid between these two methods of manufacture. We get the advantages of injection molding for the big parts that take the most stress, and the advantage of being able to change dimensions on the fly for 3D printed parts. This means that we can absorb slight variances in molded parts by changing the printed parts slightly. This is the key, in my opinion, to reducing the risks of the project as a whole. All of this has been carefully thought out. We are also avoiding straying from what we know and do best. We will not be attempting to make ground glass, etc. Instead, we source parts were needed and integrate them into our own designs.

Nonetheless, it is true that unexpected events will occur, and there will be setbacks. We are 100% committed to being fully open, transparent, and communicative about problems and difficulties we face. This is not only the right thing to do when it comes to crowdfunding, but also key to the heart of the Mercury's mission. This is not meant to make a profit; my great hope is to create a camera system outside of the corporate world, that can serve as a platform for creative work in both camera design, hardware hybrids, and photography itself. Most of all, I want to see a camera system that has a passionate, engaged community of folks who want to do strange things with their camera, who want to actively contribute to its further development, and who want to share their camera adventures. This is what drove me to embark on this crazy quest, and that's why I want to share it with others of a like mind.

This camera can be whatever you want it to be, but only if a community comes together. I pledge to help catalyze this community as best I can, and that means complete transparency and communication. I hope that you will join us!

Regards,
    Zach

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    Can you share the market-share research? IMHO, there is not a sufficient market. You can live eating beans and rice while your customers enjoy steak, and eventually you starve to death.
    Jac, thanks for your comments. Mercury Works is a collective, not a company, and our mission is to contribute something to the world of photography, not turn a profit. That's why we're creating the first fully open camera system; no corporation has ever bothered to do it, because it is not the way to make money in the photography business, which is driven by purpose-build, all-in-one devices with build in obsolescence and system lock in. I wanted to create an alternative: a camera system where control rests in the users' hands, where anyone can modify parts and extent its capabilities. Where the goal is to be as compatible with as many different brands and eras of equipment as possible rather than trying to get someone to buy compatible devices. Because we are doing this for the love of it, and for ethical and philosophical reasons, we didn't do any market research. You may well be right that there isn't a sufficient market. If that's the case, we'll probably pare down our goals and release something more modest. But I wanted to try to create the system exactly as I envisioned it, and that's the target at what this Kickstarter aims. So yeah, we can't compete in publicity with for-profit camera corporations. I'm sorry about that. But we are certainly committed to making something really excellent!

This appears to be an alternative to existing and quite similar Chinese cameras from Gaoersi and Fotoman, (and others before that). I can't see anything new or innovative, the so called LF back is using non standard slotted film holders and there's talk of cutting 5x4 film to fit.

A Crown Graphic can do all these cameras offer and has basic movements, can take interchangeable lenses etc, and would be cheaper.

I find the Video is actually quite disturbing, it's quite slick and not the usual Kickstarter quality, it's counter intuitive to being a collective because it's so false. Overall it doesn't garner trust.

Ian

Dear Zach,

I'm not really interested in going further down the track of handheld cameras, but did want to say I fully support your initiative. I find all the naysayers odd, and rude. If they are not interested, why even comment? I think this camera will appeal especially to medium format shooters, and young hipsters and hackers into experimental photography; and expect it to be a gateway drug into the world of large format. I applaud any initiative that seeks to expand the number of people using and enjoying film. I think that is good for all of us, so

Bravo!

Best, Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Meisburger View Post
    Dear Zach,

I'm not really interested in going further down the track of handheld cameras, but did want to say I fully support your initiative. I find all the naysayers odd, and rude. If they are not interested, why even comment? I think this camera will appeal especially to medium format shooters, and young hipsters and hackers into experimental photography; and expect it to be a gateway drug into the world of large format. I applaud any initiative that seeks to expand the number of people using and enjoying film. I think that is good for all of us, so

Bravo!

Best, Tim
    I'll +1 that.