Thread: Beginner Lens Question

Beginner Lens Question

Hi,

I have been reading this forum for a while, and have learned alot for the posting here. I am about to purchase my first LF camera, probably a Shen-Hao.

At least at the beginning I am going to have to keepy my expenses down. I have a chance to buy a Fujinon W 150mm F/5.6 for about $175.00. The lens appears to be in excellent shape, no marks on the glass and a few scratches on the barrel.

I was wondering people thought if this would be a good starter lens? I have read the specs, but have not been able to find out many users opinions.

Any information would be appreciated!

Thank you!!

Gary

Octogenarian

Beginner Lens Question

Hi Gary,

The Fuji 150 f5.6 W is an excellent lens, and $175 is a reasonable price. It will make a good companion for the 4X5 Shen Hao. The Fujinon"W" series has been discontinued and replaced by the CM-W series. Perhaps that's why you couldn't find much first-hand information about the lens. Look up Kerry Thalmann's review of the Fuji lenses for more detailed information.

When you refer to "a few scratches on the barrel" is the lens mounted in a shutter, or is it barrel mounted? A 150W f5.6 in a shutter is a good deal at $175. A barrel- mounted lens, with no shutter, is not such a good deal at that price. There is also an older f6.3 version of the Fuji 150W that usually sells for around $175. Be sure you are getting the f5.6 version.

Octogenarian

Beginner Lens Question

P.S. I don't see a barrel mounted version of the 150W listed, so I am assuming those scratches you mentioned were on the shutter. Is the lens mounted in a Seiko shutter, or a Copal 0 shutter? The Copal 0 shutters are newer, and at $175, a Fuji 150W in a Copal 0 shutter is a heck of a good deal.

Beginner Lens Question

Opinions differ on what focal length a "first" lens should be. 150mm is a "normal" focal length for 4X5 cameras. The most important factor is coverage adequate to allow use of your movements. Without this, you'll never learn what your camera can do for you. The 150mm Fujinon W is rated by the maker to cover a 245mm diameter circle at f22. This is good. It is reasonably compact and fits into a #0 shutter. The f5.6 maximum aperture is large enough to make focusing and composing easy. I think you could gain a loit of good experience using this lens.

Beginner Lens Question

Hi Gary,

I have just gotten into LF myself. I have put a considerable amount of thought into deciding what to buy. Although I have amost no experience shooting large format my "selection experience" is fresh in my mind.

What I considered was: what lenses I use most in 35mm; what subjects I like to shoot; what other lenses I will eventually buy; what is available on the used market; what lenses were used for LF photos that I enjoy; what is light enough for backpacking.

I am spacing focal lenghts at about a 1.5x and planning for a four lens kit.

What I have said may not be of any use to you. I can't tell you anything specific about that lens, or if a 150mm is a good choice for you because I don't know what you like to shoot.

There are links on this sight to a page by Kerry Thallman, with extensive information on Fuji lenses, where I am sure you will find specific info on that lens.

My first lens was a 180mm and I am happy with it. I hope this is of use to you.

Beginner Lens Question

I just bought a Fujinon W 150/5.6 a few weeks ago. I payed 28,000 yen which is around $280. So $175 sounds like a real good deal as long as everything works nice.

I had a 150/9 G-claron that I had been using for about a year, but since I'm mostly shooting at night now, I figured I could use the extra stop and a half, and it certainly does help focusing in the dark. Both lenses seem sharp, I can't tell any difference in the negatives they produce.

150mm is a good place to start I think. It's the length I use most, and they tend to be the cheapest lenses, so I'd go for it as a starter lens.

Beginner Lens Question

Hi Gary,

No one has mentioned that from what you've said the lens could be either single coated or multicoated. Not a huge difference, but one that will affect the resale value if nothing else. Also some of the single-coated ones may have been an earlier design that's said to have MORE coverage that some users find important. I think the later ones and all the multicoated ones have less coverage than is stated in the post above. Kerry's website should help you sort this out.

Beginner Lens Question

Hi Everyone,

I want to thank you for all the helpful information. I really appreciate all your help. Anyway, I went bought the lens this morning.

After I had typed my message I realized I had made one mistake, as Eugene had indicated. When I said scratchs on the barrel, I should have said a few scratches on the outside of the lens. The glass itself is clear, and I believe it is multicoated.

Tadge, I actually live in Japan myself right now, though far north of Tokyo. The lens was actually 19000Yen. So roughly $175.0o.

Again thank you for everything, I will return to lurker mode!

Gary