Thread: Enlarger light fall off mask

Enlarger light fall off mask

Hi all. Recently I posted an enquiry about making a light fall off mask to compensate for that effect in an Omega D3. The enlarger I normally use is a wonderful old MPP 5x7 cold light, but I also wanted a condenser light for various reasons. So I bought a cheap D3. Anyhow the upshot is a local Art gallery offered me a few 'old photographic bits' that were destined for the rubbish bin and in this (mostly junk!) bundle was a pair of 81/2 inch condensers in a brass round mount and in very good condition. Together with an engineer mate of mine we managed to use parts of the D3 head - lamphouse and top condenser, and fit these to the top of a homemade alluminium pyramid shaped box that houses these 'new' condensers. We discovered this new head had to be quite tall for even light with no corner clipping, and I'm not 100% certain of it in use as we have just completed it. It looks however very even lighting with the D3 small condenser in it's top position, and it also looks very bright. Another bonus should be the neg stage should remain cool due to the height of the head, and hopefully this 'new' weird looking combo will sort out the rotten uneven light problem!

Enlarger light fall off mask

Forgot to mention this new head drops so sweetly on to the old MPP chassis - after taking the cold head off!