Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: new digital neg system from cone

Re: new digital neg system from cone

Bob,

Just to cover a few points: I only use glossy papers, and my favorite two are now Adox MCC and Ilford WT. My tobacco factory work was all done with Forte, and I bought a couple of extra boxes to store in a chest freezer when they closed to be able to make more prints.

I always dry my negs over night or with a hair dryer for immediate use. Never had an issue with image transfer. I store them all in a box and never found the need to use interleave paper with no degradation.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by bob carnie View Post

Hi Richard was your project on Gloss or Matt paper?, I think Sandy mentioned he attended a show and was very complimentary of the prints. Somehow I think your work was it.
    Bob,

I assume you meant to ask this question of Mike, not Richard?

I visited Mike about three years ago at his home near Chapel Hill, NC and had an opportunity to see his well-equipped work space and many of his beautiful silver prints, some made with traditional analog methodology, others printed with digital negatives.

Mike's method of creating a profile with QTR using the Epson K3 ink set got my attention and I decided to experiment with it in my carbon printing. Essentially Mike is using a single gray value system where all curves follow the K, and on top of that he also applies a special paper curve. Previously I had worked with a number of methods to make digital negatives with the Epson K3 inkset, including color spectral negatives made with the Epson driver, and with QTR with Ron Reeder methodology. What I quickly realized was that Mike's single gray value system provided a simple mechanism to balance UV blocking density by setting the specific ink limit of each useful ink in the K3 set (only K, Y and LK are useful blockers) so that all three inks block the same amount. This is highly useful because it assures optimum overall smoothness, and it provides a simple mechanism for increasing or decreasing overall density range, making it easy to adjust for any process. The profile can also be adjusted internally for linearity with either the K curve, or with the LINEARIZE command, or in fact one method over the other. Since then I have taught this method exclusively at my carbon workshops and many people are using it, and I have also shared it with my friend Sam Wang, who uses it exclusively in crafting negatives for his cyanotype over palladium and cyanotype over gum work. I am attaching the .txt file and a .quad view for anyone who might be interested in this methodology, which is essentially Mike Rosenberg's system adapted by me for alternative printing.

In my personal work with carbon I am using a custom all-gray inkset with a QTR profile I built using the regular QTR tools, linearized with an iOne spectrophotometer. I worked briefly with the Cone Methodology 2 digital negative system. I was pleased with the smoothness of these negatives, but did not like the work flow of having to apply a correction curve to the image, so I decided to start from scratch and create my own profile.

Sandy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Carbon100-QuadView.jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

Yes Sandy I did mean Mike . thanks for your explanation.

Sandy,

Thanks.

Mike

Mike,

Back online..appreciate the offer. Will select a file and upload - send you a link. Very much appreciate the gesture. Will take me a week or so as I have a heavy load over the next 7 days.

Bob, look forward to hearing your experiences with Mike's negative/print as well.

We will wait to hear from Walter on availability to test the new Cone system.

Best Regards,
    George Pappas

@sandy the new PiezoDN has the same smoothness (possibly more) as classic Piezography Digital Negatives but enables true linearization + custom tuning directly in the .quad

cheers,
    Walker
    ------------------
    Walker Blackwell