Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Workflow tips for Epson V700 and Silverfast SE 8

Workflow tips for Epson V700 and Silverfast SE 8

Hi all,

First of all I'll admit I'm not the most patient, and honestly... SilverFast is causing me grief. But, it came with the scanner and its supposed to be better (?) than the Epson software so I figured I'd try using it.

The first thing I would like to make sure is turned off is the GAIN-stuff, how is that done... Im aware of the red dot but as far as I can see its only possible to choose between light - medium - strong. Now, grain isnt really an issue when scanning 8x10", but I also scan medium format (not so much there either), and I would like to keep whatever grain there is.

The point of all this is that Id like to stay as "true" to the negative as possible (high quality) and keep the character of the film. I tried the film profile for Ektar and to be honest, it made everything worse... So Im curious to know how other people do this (Im completely new to scanning)? Dust removal is probably handy though (man there is a lot of dust). But would you use the sharpening function? (Why is that necessary - are for instance 8x10" scans in need of this because they are scanned directly on the glass and not in a frame? Or are the medium format ones in need of it because they are in a frame?)

How do you guys scan, what functions are you using and why? Are you keeping the character of the film?

Cheers
    Peter

Re: Workflow tips for Epson V700 and Silverfast SE 8

I scan everything, including negatives, as positive, zeroing out any Silverfast adjustments - then use Photoshop to make color/contrast/etc. adjustments. I've never found "Negafix" to fix anything

Hey - thanks :-) What kind of settings do you use? Ive chosen a 2400 ppi for a 8x10" negative, 48 - 24 Bit, TIFF-file. It finished scanning maybe 90 minutes ago and is still "Processing"... is this normal? I tried to figure out about scan times but cant really find anything?

That's definitely not a normal amount of time; I wonder if there's a memory issue since 2400dpi and 8x10 is going to result in quite a large file. I think Silverfast is still, for some reason, a 32-bit application, which means there's a 4GB limit (probably even smaller) for the files you scan. Try 1200dpi and see if it doesn't hang.

With a v750, I used Epson Scan in pro mode, and never had a software problem. I always chose RGB and opted for B&W film or Colour film, depending on the media.
    The goal of scanning should be to save as much information as possible from the film, and this often results in a flat-looking photo when scanning.
    If you concentrate on that aspect alone, the scanning procedure should be quick and easy, with a minimum of side-steps.
    For dust, it's worth spending 20 minutes cleaning the inside of the scanner glass, as well as the outside of it. It'll save a lot of time later on.

Cheers - thanks :-) It never stopped processing so I gave up. The output file is set to be 1,5GB so memory should not be an issue - Ive been dealing with much larger files in Capture 1. I think I might give Epson Scan a go. SilverFast is just way to much of a hassle.

Sorry - I have not been dealing with that large files in Capture 1. I'm messing around. Nonetheless. I still find SilverFast to be to much of a hassle.

Ari - did you try the ICE dust removal setting for removing dust?

Quote Originally Posted by pkr1979 View Post
    Ari - did you try the ICE dust removal setting for removing dust?
    I've found Digital ICE on the V700 to be good at removing dust - but in its place it tends to add ugly artifacts. Like Ari, I believe spending time cleaning the scanner itself gives me much cleaner scans that then require much less time dusting in Photoshop.

Cheers! I appreciate this feedback. Its very helpful. Thanks :-)