Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 240 options for 8x10

240 options for 8x10

Owen,
    I can find no disagreement with you comments. It IS the character of the lens that I love. The flair is what I use to my advantage for my style of shooting. I also have a 210 macro sironar so I will stand behind you, on backing up your choice.
    Ralph,
    I've drooled over that shot before. It's a pleasure to see it again. Thanks for letting me know a little more about it.

240 options for 8x10

John - I actually like some of the color work that Joel Meyerowitz has done with the 10" WFE - but it's just not a good match for what I want to do for now in B&W. Glad you enjoy working with it - part of the fun of having all these different modern and classic lens types available is that there's something for virtually every taste.

Cheers, and good light...

Eric Woodbury

240 options for 8x10

A vote for the Fujinon W 250/6.3. I got mine for 810, but now use it instead of the 210mm for 45 and 57.
    my picture blog
    ejwoodbury.blogspot.com

240 options for 8x10

Just yesterday I printed a recent picture made with the 10" Wide Field Ektar--perhaps I should say *very* wide field since the negative is a 7x17. The picture looks across the edge of a cliff through a screen of treetops and off into a canyon. Conditions were deep overcast, light drizzle (possibly my favorite kind of light) and the character of the WFE in this case makes for a wonderfully velvety palladium print. But for a general purpose lens on 8x10, I use the 240mm Apo Sironar S and never miss the look of the Ektar. Technical capabilities alone don't determine the usefulness of a lens. As several have pointed out in this thread, the imaging styles of different photographers will lead to different lens choices. No right or wrong, just a matter of finding what's appropriate for the style of optical image desired.

---Carl

240 options for 8x10

"Eric hit the nail on the head. Once you've used a wide field Ektar you'll never say I wish I had got this or that, ever. That lens will dig into the shadows with a backhoe. Coverage? 11x14 OK.John"

I had one for a while and really didn't like it, despite all the hype. Traded it for a Fuji 250 6.7 which is one of my most used lenses.

BTW it's the older 250mm 6.7 that really covers 8x10 well. The newer 6.3 doesn't have nearly as much coverage.
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

Eric Woodbury

240 options for 8x10

Correction: Mine is the 6.7, not the other as previously stated.
    my picture blog
    ejwoodbury.blogspot.com

240 options for 8x10

The Fujinon 250 f/6.7 covers 8x10 with room to spare, but the f/6.3 will also cover 8x10. It doesn't give much room for movements at infinity, but it's generally a whole lot cheaper than the f/6.7 (for obvious reasons).

I use the f/6.3 on 8x10; I originally bought it for 4x5 and was happy to discover that it covers 8x10 when I moved up in size. Although the f/6.7 has a much larger image circle, I'm sticking with my f/6.3 for now as the image quality is breathtaking, and little of my work is done at infinity.

240 options for 8x10

Rob,

I can only comment on the 240 G Claron and the 250mm Wide Field Ektar. I love both for different reasons, which is the only way I can justify owning two lenses so close in focal length. Of the two, the G-Claron often gets the nod when hiking because it is so darn small and lightwieght with its modern copal shutter. The WF Ektar has a completely different persona---maybe its because I "cut my 8x10 teeth" on Universal #5 shutters but I really enjoy working with my WF and the prints seem to me to be uniquely different from the G-Claron's. For portraiture I'll go with the WF every time. Both lenses are sharp and contrasty. If you have the disposition for old shutters and vintage glass the WF Ektar is a delight. If you demand precision or small and lightwieght, then the G-Claron will certainly fill the bill. Either way you win!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

240 options for 8x10

I have a Fujinon-A and an Apo-Symmar both in 240 mm. I got the Fujinon-A as a lighter alternative, but have now found myself going back to the Apo-Symmar, for a few reasons: First, I frequently shoot in low light, so the extra 3x light of the Apo-Symmar is a lifesaver. Second, on 8x10 transparencies I often find the falloff of the Fujinon-A to be slightly objectionable. The Apo-Symmar seems to have less falloff. Both lenses are very sharp (I use the Fujinon-A for 6x12/4x5 as well) but the Apo-Symmar has an edge here. It could be that it is more contrasty leading to the appearance of sharpness while resolving the same.

240 options for 8x10

I'm another satisfied 240mm G-Claron customer. Don't forget that Schneider includes a free macro lens inside of every G-Claron, should you get the urge to do a close-up, without carrying another lens.