Thread: Where to get advice on proper handling and restoration of vintage glass negatives?

Where to get advice on proper handling and restoration of vintage glass negatives?

Greetings: I am new to this site and am seeking information about how to conserve and preserve the images on glass plates ranging from 1920s to 1880s. Some of the negatives are adhered to others. I need to know a safe way to separate them. Some of them are very dirty. Is there a recommended way to clean them that will not damage the emulsion?

I volunteer at a local historical organization where one of my tasks is to scan the images in order to preserve them and make them available to the public. The plates range in size from 4 x 5 to 7 x 9 inches, approximately.

multiplex

Re: Vintage Glass Negatives

hi debra

you might contact the new england document conservation center ( nedcc.org )
    they might have some suggestions and ideas for you.

Re: Vintage Glass Negatives

Thank you, I will check out the source you mention.

Quote Originally Posted by Debra View Post
    Greetings: I am new to this site and am seeking information about how to conserve and preserve the images on glass plates ranging from 1920s to 1880s. Some of the negatives are adhered to others. I need to know a safe way to separate them. Some of them are very dirty. Is there a recommended way to clean them that will not damage the emulsion?

I volunteer at a local historical organization where one of my tasks is to scan the images in order to preserve them and make them available to the public. The plates range in size from 4 x 5 to 7 x 9 inches, approximately.
    Debra,

Also try George Eastman Museum, Library of Congress, National Archives and Records Administration and National Park Service- https://www.nps.gov/Museum/publicati...pendix%20R.pdf Note K. Selected Bibliography

American Institute of Conservation http://www.conservation-us.org/

Identification of image type is important to preservation and conservation whether collodion, dry plate, or other.

Someone is waiting for your call.

Best,

Steve