Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: to the mods, does lowering a price on a FS item constitute a bump

Re: to the mods, does lowering a price on a FS item constitute a bump

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Barlow View Post
    ... Once your For Sale post leaves the first page, it goes into the abyss for 30 days. Then, and only then, can you re-post. I wonder if the average user reads past the first few pages in the For Sale forum? This is probably why the forum is dying. ...
    Yes, and I rarely scroll past the first page anymore.
    --- Steve from Missouri ---

Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    that can be dangerous ...
    like being in a grocery store with an empty stomach
    Never happen. Whenever I go to Costco I immediately stop and eat a slice of $2 pizza with tap water. Then I shop. Actually I usually pre shop one day and return another when the place is empty, eat another slice and buy exactly what...

I shop everything to death for the best price.

I am Hell on car and motorcycle dealers. I have bought lots of cars/bikes for myself and often accompany friends so I can haggle. Love the haggle. Learned it first as buyer then as seller.

All's fair in love and war. Both are positional bargaining.

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    Please elaborate on what metric(s) you used to make this diagnosis. I see no evidence of forum decline, only a diminution of For Sale and Want to Buy threads. In my opinion, those are inverse indicators of forum health, so less of them is a good thing.
    It seems obvious that you are not in the market as a buyer or seller. Those who are notice the section is becoming a loser in too many ways now.

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    It seems obvious that you are not in the market as a buyer or seller. Those who are notice the section is becoming a loser in too many ways now.
    The primary purpose of this forum is not to be a venue for buying and selling. Those categories have been provided as an accommodation for members who seek such transactions as an adjunct to their other participation here.

If anyone's primary membership purpose here is buying and selling, I'm content with them thinking "the section is becoming a loser" and leaving. There are other venues dedicated to commercial transactions. Let them eat eBay.

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    In the beginning, it was simple. People posted FS items, and others bought or didn't buy. Then, some started applying more aggressive marketing techniques, such as bumping, to the detriment of those who didn't. That was followed by other bumpers trying to out-bump the bumpers, and what appeared to be mutual cross-bumping secret sub-societies. Administrative issues multiplied, and rules became more complex.

The current guidelines, and the revised FS/WTB forum structure, address issues discussed at length in a couple of threads over several months. While perhaps not perfect, and it's taking some time for folks who weren't following the discussions to become aware of the revised guidelines, it seems to be working better. The alternative was to eliminate the FS/WTB sections entirely - something we didn't want to do.

Plus, it's still free, and probably simpler than commercial sites designed for the same purpose.

I believe you've underestimated how important the For Sale forum is to the viability/vibrancy of this website. And I'm sure Sean over at APUG thanks you for making his website that much more active.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Barlow View Post
    Bumps don't do anything on this site anymore, unless a user goes out of their way to change the sort order of the forum. I doubt that very many users would do this.

Once your For Sale post leaves the first page, it goes into the abyss for 30 days. Then, and only then, can you re-post. I wonder if the average user reads past the first few pages in the For Sale forum? This is probably why the forum is dying.
    I agree. I hardly bother to look at the FS section anymore, and I used to visit numerous times a day for the past several years. It was fun. I payed membership again at Apug to sell off some stuff, not even bothering to list here. I don't like the constant policing in the for sale listings - people can't make any comments without them being deleted post haste. The FS section used to be not only a place to buy and sell, but a place to hang out and talk about the items listed...you know...fun, just like any other page on the forum. I would see the comment count on an item that I was not the slightest bit interested in buying, but wanted to see what all the fuss was about. I am spending more and more of my forum time at Apug now. It's just no fun in the FS page anymore, and it seems to be spreading. I am no expert, but it seems that perhaps moderation should be done in...moderation.
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/52893762/bigger4b.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    I agree. I hardly bother to look at the FS section anymore, and I used to visit numerous times a day for the past several years. It was fun. I payed membership again at Apug to sell off some stuff, not even bothering to list here. I don't like the constant policing in the for sale listings - people can't make any comments without them being deleted post haste. The FS section used to be not only a place to buy and sell, but a place to hang out and talk about the items listed...you know...fun, just like any other page on the forum. I would see the comment count on an item that I was not the slightest bit interested in buying, but wanted to see what all the fuss was about. I am spending more and more of my forum time at Apug now. It's just no fun in the FS page anymore, and it seems to be spreading. I am no expert, but it seems that perhaps moderation should be done in...moderation.
    I wanted to say; "Well said" before yours gets deleted and then mine does too.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    +1

Tim
    www.ScottPhoto.co

I'm sorry to be vocal (and I'm sure this will get deleted) but what is going on with the new revisions? No bumps, no more recycling of the listings? No one searches, well some do but a small percentage vs those who buy based on what they see.

I was told its because of moderation issues, but why? and what the heck is being moderated?