Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: to the mods, does lowering a price on a FS item constitute a bump

to the mods, does lowering a price on a FS item constitute a bump

to the mods, does lowering a price on a FS item (within 7 days) constitute a premature bump?

Re: to the mods, does lowering a price on a FS item constitute a bump

Please read the recently-revised guidelines for FS and WTB - there are several important changes. Among them, empty bumps are no longer allowed at any time. Price changes are considered substantive and thus OK, although if a member frequently posts very small substantive changes the moderators may delete such posts or take other action as appropriate.

Bumps don't do anything on this site anymore, unless a user goes out of their way to change the sort order of the forum. I doubt that very many users would do this.

Once your For Sale post leaves the first page, it goes into the abyss for 30 days. Then, and only then, can you re-post. I wonder if the average user reads past the first few pages in the For Sale forum? This is probably why the forum is dying.

Oren, I couldn't help but notice that when you had a personal camera to sell, you advertised it in the APUG For Sale forum rather than the For Sale forum here.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Barlow View Post
    Oren, I couldn't help but notice that when you had a personal camera to sell, you advertised it in the APUG For Sale forum rather than the For Sale forum here.
    I post FS items in a variety of forums and occasionally on eBay as well, not just here or at APUG. I sell directly to dealers too. In each case I make a judgment depending on what the item is, where I think interest is likely to be greatest, how much time and energy I have available to devote to the listing and what kinds of risk and transactional fuss I'm prepared to put up with. YMMV.

Vancouver (Burnaby), BC, Canada & Hong Kong, HK

Once your For Sale post leaves the first page, it goes into the abyss for 30 days. Then, and only then, can you re-post. I wonder if the average user reads past the first few pages in the For Sale forum? This is probably why the forum is dying.
    Not to argue, but to differ: when I'm in the market for something, I search for keywords then sort by date. Example, if I'm looking for something for my Rittreck View, I might search 'Rittreck' and see what comes up. Occasionally I'll scan recent posts to see what strikes my fancy, but I tend to know what I'm looking for. I can see the challenge you highlight, though.

...This is probably why the forum is dying...
    Please elaborate on what metric(s) you used to make this diagnosis. I see no evidence of forum decline, only a diminution of For Sale and Want to Buy threads. In my opinion, those are inverse indicators of forum health, so less of them is a good thing.

Sometimes I don't know what I might need, use and buy without seeing an advertisement.

Happens every day.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Harding View Post
    Not to argue, but to differ: when I'm in the market for something, I search for keywords then sort by date. Example, if I'm looking for something for my Rittreck View, I might search 'Rittreck' and see what comes up. Occasionally I'll scan recent posts to see what strikes my fancy, but I tend to know what I'm looking for. I can see the challenge you highlight, though.

At this moment lurkers outnumber members present 10 to 1.

Highest I have noticed in a while.

Old School Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    At this moment lurkers outnumber members present 10 to 1.

Highest I have noticed in a while.
    I like to think of them as "stalkers".

multiplex

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    Sometimes I don't know what I might need, use and buy without seeing an advertisement.

Happens every day.
    that can be dangerous ...
    like being in a grocery store with an empty stomach