Thread: heavy ballheads, Arca B2 vs. Linhof Profi III?

heavy ballheads, Arca B2 vs. Linhof Profi III?

I am considering the purchase of a heavy duty ballhead for my largest tripod.

I understand that the Linhof Profi III is a simple ballhead, whereas the Arca B2 is really a three way pan tilt head disguised as a ballhead.

Has anyone ever had a chance to compare them side by side? Are the quality and stability of the Arca B2 and Linhof Profi III ballheads comparable?

Thanks in advance,
    Henry

I've got a Linhof Profi II, as my backup tripod head. It used to be my primary, but got replaced by an Arca-Swiss B1 when the Profi II nearly tipped my camera into the water when it let the camera flop. This is something the eccentric ball that Arca-Swiss uses prevents.

In addition to the B2, AS also makes the B1-G, which is a really big version of the B1. It might be just what you're looking for.

You might also want to look at the Novoflex ClassicBall 5.

All the heads recommended so far do a good job and I could be satisfied with any of them but, depending on the weight of the equiipment you are mounting I recommend the Acratech head (for anything up to around 25 pounds) and if you have really heavy gear then nothing can beat a Majestic geared head. BTW, I suspect by the time this thread ends you will have every ballhead known to man recommended.

Yo uare really comparing apples and oranges when you compare any pan/ tilt head to any ball head. My favorite pan tilt head for heavy loads is the Arca-Swiss B2 Monoball. If i was only in the studio and so didn't mind the weight or size I'd choose a geared Majectic head. If I owned a Sinar, where the monorail laterally rotates in the tripod block, I'd choose the Sinar Pan Tilt head.

For lighter loads, in pan tilts I'd choose the double tilt Linhof head (I forget the name) and for a ballhead I'd choose the Arca-Swiss B1 Monoball.

Geos

I've had the Linhof Profi III and currently have an Arca-Swiss B2. My recommendation would be the Arca B1 for 5x7 and less and the B2 for 8x10 and above. Each has it's positive and negative sides. The Profi III was too small for an 8x10 camera (great for my 4x5 camera) and needed to be really tightened down when used with the 8x10. Also the Linhof heads need to be lubricated once in a while and because of this lubricant can hold a lot of dirt. The B2 is heavy and large, but is awesome for precision adjustments and rigitity with large/heavy cameras. The B2 is worth the money if it's to be used with big equipment.

Geaorg,

" Also the Linhof heads need to be lubricated once in a while and because of this lubricant can hold a lot of dirt."

This isn't quite true.

The Linhof heads have an impregnated strip of material that bears on the ball. The strip is impregnated with the lubricant so lubricant should never be applied directly to the ball.

However the Novoflex Classic Ball 3 and Classic Ball 5 are made with no lubricant on the ball or controls at all.

Thanks to all who contributed their valuable input.

For lighter loads I already use an Arca Swiss B1 ballhead or a Linhof 3-way levelling head (3663).

It would appear that a better comparison for heavier loads would be between an Arca Swiss B2 and a Linhof Levelling Pan/Tilt head 77 or 90 (3667, 3668). The Linhof Profi III ballhead is probably more comparable to the Arca Swiss B1.

The biggest tripod that I have is the Linhof Profi III, and the heaviest camera that I use is a Linhof Master Technika.

The Profi III tripod's top clamp would directly accomodate the Linhof Levelling Pan/Tilt head 90 (90 mm base). I could attach a RRS Arca Swiss style quick release clamp to the Linhof quick-change plate (for the Pan/Tilt head) so that it is compatible with the RRS Arca Swiss style plates mounted on my cameras.

So it is down to the B2 or the Linhof Levelling Pan/Tilt Head (3668)...

Regards,
    Henry