Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Should lead fishing weights be sewn in the hem of a dark cloth?

Drew Wiley

Re: Should lead fishing weights be sewn in the hem of a dark cloth?

Besides the velcro on the darkcloths, I always keep a couple of ordinary wooden clothespins in my kit. Use em on my darkroom film drying line too.

Drew Wiley

Alan, where the hills start leveling off toward the Valley floor inland, I had friends with enormous ranches, two of them in the half million acre category apiece
    (now largely broken up). Adjacent to one of them was a corporate ranch that specialized in exotic breeds and hybrids. They had quite a bison herd of their own,
    plus big Scottish longhorns, Texas longhorns, Zebus, etc. They specialized in export hybrids, and were early into that game. But the ranch I roamed around quite
    a bit on raised rodeo Brahma bulls, specifically bred to be mean. When the winter tule fog would start lifting, and some hazy white thing twenty yards away started staring back at you, and the nearest fence or tree was two miles away, then every little dip or culvert in the ground was quickly sought out. I realize that
    Missouri does have some topography; but I used to kid a coworker here who grew up in Nebraska about topographic maps of the plains being drawn with contour lines in millimeters.

[QUOTE=Drew Wiley;1332487]Alan, where the hills start leveling off toward the Valley floor inland, I had friends with enormous ranches, two of them in the half million acre category apiece
    (now largely broken up). Adjacent to one of them was a corporate ranch that specialized in exotic breeds and hybrids. They had quite a bison herd of their own,
    plus big Scottish longhorns, Texas longhorns, Zebus, etc. They specialized in export hybrids, and were early into that game. But the ranch I roamed around quite
    a bit on raised rodeo Brahma bulls, specifically bred to be mean. When the winter tule fog would start lifting, and some hazy white thing twenty yards away started staring back at you, and the nearest fence or tree was two miles away, then every little dip or culvert in the ground was quickly sought out. I realize that
    Missouri does have some topography; but I used to kid a coworker here who grew up in Nebraska about topographic maps of the plains being drawn with contour lines in millimeters.[/QUOTE

Drew, the furthest west I have been is Los Vegas for a wedding. I'm not a gambler so I wasn't thrilled about the town. I did like visiting the desert though. I have been in the Smokey Mountains. A lot different then the terrain here! I really enjoyed it. I need to get out to California. My Step-son, his wife and kids live in San Jose. I just dread the plane ride. Vegas for their wedding was tough enough on my fused back. I'd love to see your neighborhood! I bet it's beautiful.

We have a bar and grill near my house that serves Bison burgers. Pretty good!

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Gales View Post

We have a bar and grill near my house that serves Bison burgers. Pretty good!
    Dang! Now I'm hungry.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Drew Wiley

Alan - I detest Vegas itself, but there is a lot of darn pretty desert country not far away. They even have a brief ski season atop the Spring Mtns slightly to the
    north. I briefly worked from some Nevada mustangers who went from a half million acre ranch in Nevada to a smaller one in Calif. I got thrown quite a few times by half-broken mustangs, but they liked them as working horses because they had so much spirit and endurance. My personal horse was a friendly Appaloosa left at home because he wasn't good for much except being a pet, and specifically a clever, mischievous pet. Haven't been on a horse in a long long time. I'm more my own pack mule. But gosh, this incremental increase in gravity is starting to bug me. It's like sea-level rise and just won't go away. My pack feels heavier every year. But on those two week outings even the darkcloth is switched out to thin ripstop nylon instead of heavier Goretex. I'm starting to count every ounce.

I use binder clips to keep there focus cloth attached to the camera and prefer velcro on the user side to keep thing tight. I'm using Harrison cloths which have stretch cord/ material sewn into the hem to make things snug after velcro-ing myself inside

My Zone VI cloth has weights which so far hasn't been an issue but I prefer the lighter weight Harrison. If I were to use weights, the curtain weights would be better as mentioned before with the weight spread along a larger surface and I would presume less likely to damage the gg which would be my worry.
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

We just had a window get cracked from a weighted corner of sun cloth
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

One of my dark cloths, has the velcro sewn in the corners.

My other dark cloths do not. What I like to use with those cloths to keep from going all over the place, are the inexpensive plastic clamps.

I have attached a photo of one of the clamps in service. They are cheap and very effective.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0839.jpg