Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Radar 12" F6.3?

Re: Radar 12" F6.3?

Was probably etched on a Monday morning, that's all.

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Quote Originally Posted by BarryS View Post
    Weird. An Ilex #5 has a 63mm maximum iris...
    Remember that the front cell can magnify that aperture to a significantly larger size.
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sawyer View Post
    Remember that the front cell can magnify that aperture to a significantly larger size.
    Right--my point is that if the Alphax doesn't reduce the maximum aperture, the Ilex shouldn't.

Give front and back a penlight test. Usually the f6.3 was entry level and was a dialyt type. 4 glass in 4 groups, which is deadly for flare if uncoated. If you get 4 brights, front and back that's what it is. Wolly did the same thing. It was a cheap lens to get the entry participant up and going. The 4.5 Radar barely fits in a 5 Betax. I think the Ilex was a bit smaller yet. Sure it isn't an Ilex 4? 12" 6.3 was common in Betax 4.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Galli View Post
    Give front and back a penlight test. Usually the f6.3 was entry level and was a dialyt type. 4 glass in 4 groups, which is deadly for flare if uncoated. If you get 4 brights, front and back that's what it is. Wolly did the same thing. It was a cheap lens to get the entry participant up and going. The 4.5 Radar barely fits in a 5 Betax. I think the Ilex was a bit smaller yet. Sure it isn't an Ilex 4? 12" 6.3 was common in Betax 4.
    Now that you ask if i am sure if it is in a #5 shutter, i am not so sure any more. Wait let me see, if it says universal no. 5 shutter its a #4 right?
    Jim, you solved the mystery.

Quote Originally Posted by koh303 View Post
    Now that you ask if i am sure if it is in a #5 shutter, i am not so sure any more. Wait let me see, if it says universal no. 5 shutter its a #4 right?
    Jim, you solved the mystery.
    I deeply regret that I honestly tried to help. Trust me, it won't happen again. Ahhh, the ignore list.

Quite often on Ebay I see lenses that have been transplanted to a different shutter without changing the f-scale. If you have a barrel lens and a shutter that fits, this is an obvious thing to do. Then making the scale is left to the person who does the graft, and I guess a lot of people don't bother. This happens often enough that I always check the scale on lenses I am thinking of buying to make sure the shutter is scaled right. It's very common on old American lenses and I've seen a few 90mm W/A Raptars with f/4.5 scales, and I have a black 15" tele Raptar in a shutter with an f6.3 scale--it was so cheap I couldn't ignore it :-)

You can often recognize these jobs from a barrel that doesn't match the shutter. Just recently there was an obvious transplant on Ebay. Someone grafted a 14-3/4" Ilex Paragon from a barrel into a #5 shutter. The barrel is black from a barrel lens, the shutter chrome. Then he called it a 14-3/4" Caltar, which it obviously wasn't and didn't look like at all. It's in the "sold" listings, and I wonder if the buyer realizes what he got.

Anyway, making a correct scale isn't that hard.
    Thanks, but I'd rather just watch:
    Large format: http://flickr.com/michaeldarnton
    Mostly 35mm: http://flickr.com/mdarnton
    You want digital, color, etc?: http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradofear

Quote Originally Posted by mdarnton View Post
    Quite often on Ebay I see lenses that have been transplanted to a different shutter without changing the f-scale. If you have a barrel lens and a shutter that fits, this is an obvious thing to do. Then making the scale is left to the person who does the graft, and I guess a lot of people don't bother. This happens often enough that I always check the scale on lenses I am thinking of buying to make sure the shutter is scaled right. It's very common on old American lenses and I've seen a few 90mm W/A Raptars with f/4.5 scales, and I have a black 15" tele Raptar in a shutter with an f6.3 scale--it was so cheap I couldn't ignore it :-)

You can often recognize these jobs from a barrel that doesn't match the shutter. Just recently there was an obvious transplant on Ebay. Someone grafted a 14-3/4" Ilex Paragon from a barrel into a #5 shutter. The barrel is black from a barrel lens, the shutter chrome. Then he called it a 14-3/4" Caltar, which it obviously wasn't and didn't look like at all. It's in the "sold" listings, and I wonder if the buyer realizes what he got.

Anyway, making a correct scale isn't that hard.
    Please explain how this is related in any to the lens in question?
    The lens and shutter both marked for f6.3.

Instead of asking ignorant questions, why not make a rough measurement of the entrance pupil with something like, oh, a ruler, and divide that number into the presumed focal length, or perhaps you could measure that at infinity too but that might be a challenge for you, and then you could answer your own dopey questions and stop being rude to people in your tone.

Quote Originally Posted by koh303 View Post
    It is 2.7".
    This brings up the question of why the lens is so marked - is it because of the available shutter markings? It seems that i would be the same trouble to re etch the lens as it would the shutter...???
    actually, it is 2.5" or 64mm.
    305/64=4.7....