Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking to restore a Kodak Master View 8x10 Camera and need help and advice.

Re: Looking to restore a Kodak Master View 8x10 Camera and need help and advice.

Try vinegar and / or ammonia for cleaning the brass. Let it soak a while first then scrub with steel wool.
    Cheers Shane

Re: Looking to restore a Kodak Master View 8x10 Camera and need help and advice.

Vinegar and salt is better as it forms a very weak solution of Hydrchloric acid. Stubborn areas I use fine wet and dry Emory paper.

Ian

Don't leave acids on brass for long, and don't soak valuable brass antiques in any acid, vinegar, citrus, or other. It will leach out the zinc, leaving the surface very discolored copper looking. It also weakens brass. Yes, I've used it to get heavy gunk off brass, but just wipe it on and don't leave it more than about 10 minutes, and rinse well. I saw a Petzval sold the other week, that looked like a copper penny, the seller had obviously let the barrel sit in vinegar or lemon juice for an hour or so. It ruins them. Yes, you can then abrade down through the copper layer, to fresh brass, but why take such aggressive measures on antiques?

For brass that is just mildly patina'd, I highly recommend Mother's polish (auto parts store), followed by auto wax.

I agree Garrett about the time, usually I don't immerse brass in vinegar & salt for more than 2 - 5 minutes and it's dilute, the very thin layer of copper polishes off with minimal effort. I've only resorted to using this once on a Petzval lens barrel and there wasn't really a better option. I'm not a believer in trying to restore something antique so that it looks new you need some of the original patina to give character.

Ian

About bellows replacement, be careful with who you buy from. I've only read good things about custom bellows. I didn't buy from them when I replaced the bellows on an 8x10 camera and later wished I had spent the extra cash.

Thanks all! I forgot that i have this material called gorgomyte. Its used to clean frets on guitars and is essentially coconut fibers (thus a good alternative to steel wool). As far as bellows, everyone has recommended custom bellows. Ill will still look into ritters if hes still making.