Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Will recoating a lens degrade its performance?

Will recoating a lens degrade its performance?

I had Rollei of America recoat the Xenotar lens on my 3.5E in 1976. It has been an outstanding performer and I still use it regularly.

Eric,

At ROA all we could do were mechanical repairs. Anything like a recoating was done at the lens factory. Not in NJ.

From Eric's comment, I gather that it is at least possible to recoat a lens without degrading its peformance.

I think the question now becomes whether an independent shop with lots of experience in that particualr type of lens can successfully recoat it.

It is possible to recoat a lens without degrading its performance but the procedure is not risk free, even when the outfit doing the job is good at what they do - removing the coating can change surface radii, the spacing between groups in multi-group lenses needs to be precisely right when they get reassembled, etc. Physically, those deviations don't have to be very large to change a lens' performance from "excellent" to "okay". There's a risk that even if the new coating is perfect, your lens doesn't end up performing any better. (I know someone whose lens ended up with less flare, but the focus was no longer as sharp - spacing between groups was probably a touch off.) Weigh the potential benefits against the risks in deciding how to proceed.

Randall:

One little thought, decementing, regrinding and recoating a lens produce enough heat that it can crack the lens element. If it does you will be S.O.L., the lenses are matched sets. Is it really worth taking the chance?

Just a thought.

Leave it be. There are so many other variables in the performance of a TLR (overall lens collimation, front standard being truly perpendicular to lens axis, baffling, shutter, etc.) that I sincerely doubt 4mm defect would matter. All respect to Rolleiflex but I am not aware of that model being out of value with others of similar vintage. Just how much do you think the camera is worth? Keep both cameras, enjoy them.

I have an old 1956 rollei with a 3.5 For one I wouldn't even consider recoating if it doesn't effect performance. Besides, why put 500 dollars into a 300 dollar camera. Also once you recoat the camera is no longer original. Just do what the camera wants you to do....take pictures with it.

Everyone, thanks for all your replies.

Although some people have suggsted a recoat should be just fine, I get the feeling that the general consensus is that the potential benefits of recoating are outweighted by the potential negatives. I am still unsure which way to proceed, though.

I especially appreciate those comments from people who have had a recoat done. Thanks!

I am still hoping to hear from more people who have had a recoat done, especially if done by Focal Point, or done to a Rolleiflex. Please feel free to contact me off-forum if a public forum is not the best venue to share your thoughts.

randallcherry@earthlink.net

Thanks.

--Randall