Thread: Sinar lens

Sinar lens

Hi,
    What can you tell me about a Sinar f6.5 lens with a Copal O shutter. Most interested in quality of Sinar lenses as compared to other manufacturers.
    Thanks,
    Bob

Sinar lens

First you need to tell us more to properly identify the lens, mainly the focal length and any otehr designation the lens may have .... are you sure you mean f6.5 and not f5.6 too?

Generally speaking all modern Sinar lenses are manufactured by Rodenstock for Sinar and are the equivelent of one of the Rodenstock series. We can properly identify it with the additional info.

Sinar lens

Not sure about a f6.5 lens - do you mean a f 5.6? What focal length lens are you thinking of - less than 150mm? Sinar (Sinaron) lenses are Rodenstock lenses that have been "hand picked" by Sinar/Linhof as the best of the production run. If the Sinaron is an "S" then it is equivalent in specs to the Rodenstock "N", if it is an "SE" then it is a Rodenstock "S" lens. I have a 210 Sinaron "S" - superb! BUT could not honestly say that it was better than a non-Sinar!! As all modern lenses, in general, are of equal quality/performance

Sinar lens

Thanks,
    The lens is a Sinar Sinaron W, 90mm, 1:6.8, MC, 102 degrees, SN10764205.
    Hope that helps. I'm new to this format and not up to speed yet. I tried it on my Toyo 45CF, and it seems to be very clear and sharp. Will know more when the B/W comes back next week. It is mounted in a 1/4" recessed board.
    Bob

Sinar lens

That lens was also made by Rodenstock and is the same as a 90mm f/6.8 Grandagon-N.

Sinar lens

Thanks for all the replies and information. So being Rodenstock, I might assume that it is a quality lens. The camera was sold with a lens change from the kit [my choice] to a Nikon 150mm.
    It has been very sharp. Only after 8 sheets, one shot is good enough for a juried galley exhibition.
    I'm hooked now on 4x5. I've used Nikon [F3, F5, F100]for 30 yrs. , and Bronica [ETRSi] for 10 yrs. wished I had made the move to 4x5 30yrs ago. Sales would have been better.

Thanks again.
    Bob [BioImage - Landscape, Close-up]