Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which Chamonix 4x5 model should I buy?

Re: Which Chamonix 4x5 model should I buy?

Keep the Nagaoka! (No camera is without its own faults -- you'll just be trading one set of problems for a different set.)
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

I have never been able to understand anyone having a preference for a non folding field camera. The very definition of a field camera is one which is easy to carry to and use in the field. I believe a non-folding camera has all of the transportation and storage problems of a monorail, and few of its advantages.
    This said, each person must buy what they feel is best for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    I have never been able to understand anyone having a preference for a non folding field camera. The very definition of a field camera is one which is easy to carry to and use in the field. I believe a non-folding camera has all of the transportation and storage problems of a monorail, and few of its advantages.
    What problems? I'd be interested to know why you think a non-folder is not easy to carry or use in the field. I've used both types, non-folders are easier to use, and overall no different to carry.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    Don't think of them as "non-folding" so much as "pancaking." If you look about 1/3 of the way down this article: https://luminous-landscape.com/era-e...y-view-camera/ you'll see how much you can collapse one of the Ebony non-folding cameras. Scroll down further to see the same camera fully extended. They end up as compact, if not more so, than a folding view camera, making them very easy to transport. You get rigidity from not needing hinged standards, at the expense of total bellows length and the option of both base and axial tilts. For the triple-extension models, you do have to use both front and rear focus and the extra extension section to get it fully extended, which takes a bit more time than just extending a folding camera, but it's not that difficult.

I can get my Ebony 45SU collapsed and packed in the Photobackpacker box very quickly, and can collapse it with a small lens attached (Nikkor 200M, Fuji 125 or Schneider 135 are all small enough) if I want.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/drew_saunders/

In Chamonix 4x5 H-1 page there is a pic of its carrying bag, sounds very reliable and nice and easy to carry, it is almost same dimensions of the aluminium box that my Shen Hao folding are coming with, the difference is like orientation, and i think about non folding cams are easier because i will take time even few seconds to setup/open non folding camera and placing things on it.

Too late! I sold the Nagoaka, and I am very very happy with the 045H1. It is only slightly bigger than the folded NS but far more rigid and able to take my 210mm lens without sagging. I've shot this a few times and it is a joy - beautifully made. It goes in my back pack, taking up around the same kid of space, but the lens is attached so the whole process is far speedier - great in failing light situations. I love this camera.