By the time I was four I knew I was not a girl, but back then, there was no option to do anything about it. I thought puberty would fix everything, but then I started having periods. I don't remember anything at all about my 7th grade year because I was completely dissociated. When I came back to reality, I resigned myself to being a girl and completely buries any memory of my true male self. Over the years, I had a few lesbian lovers, but I always told them that “I am not a lesbian”, which, understandably, confused the heck out of them.

2 years prior to my transition, I saw this painting called "Mermaid Metamorphosis" by Sheila Wolk in a print store in Vancouver. For some reason, I just *had* to have it. During my years in psychotherapy, I had a very important dream, I walked up a hill to a mausoleum, and inside was a slab of stone. Lying on the stone was a four year boy, pale, naked and lying very still, He had no genitals whatsoever. Then he said, with his eyes still closed, “Don't kiss my sex”. In fairy tales, you kiss the princess to wake her up. So here, “do not kiss my sex” meant that I must not wake up my male self and sexuality. The next morning, I knew exactly what the dream meant. I went to my therapist and told her that I had to transition. And after answering some searching questions from her, she gave me her blessing -- which was a requirement for transition at that time.

Reactions to my decision were almost universally greeted with support, if not outright enthusiasm. My beloved stepmom said, "That's great! I've always wanted a son!" My partner, Cynthia McQuillin, said, "Oh, good!, I finally get to meet the man I fell in love with".

I see myself as a twin, Jane and James, joined at birth, and separated when I was 56.

-- Dr. James Robinson, PhD in Biology with a particular love for Paleontology

"Hearts On Our Sleeves: Portraits and Stories of Transgender+"

p.s. for those who do not know, I am doing two other portrait projects currently:

In "Transformations:Cosplay", I am photographing cosplayers / media-genre costumers in costumes and in their "civilian attires". The work in progress slideshow is here: http://richardmanphoto.com/PICS/Tran...lay-Portfolio/

In "Worldbuilders of Science Fiction and Fantasy", I am photographing genre writers, artists, and editors. The work in progress slideshow is here: http://richardmanphoto.com/PICS/Worl...FnF-Portfolio/