Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Affordable printer for digital negatives

Re: Affordable printer for digital negatives

Quote Originally Posted by bobbotron View Post
    I ended up buying a 1430. I've had good success with it, they might look thin but they block UV light for cyanotype really well.
    That's great!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does anyone have any direct experience with the Epson SureColor P400? (as opposed to the P600 and P800 mentioned a bunch in here)
    Any feedback would be great appreciated.

I don't think this would be a very good option for the inks it uses. There are no light black dilutions so all the blocking density would be coming from the PK and color inks. You will get spotty/grainy midtones and highlights if you use the OEM inks.

You might be able to put in an all gray inkset in there, but for the money, it would be better to go with something like the 1430 and use a dedicated inkset, or a refurbished 3880 and switch to PiezoDN or leave it UCK3 and use my new QuickCurve-DN system.
    Personal Site — http://www.richardboutwell.com
    Black and White Aesthetics, Editing, and Printing — http://www.BWMastery.com

Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    Considerable difference in price between the 1430 (about $300 USD) and the Epson P800 ($1300 USD). That would be important to some. Then, you get a 17" wide negative with the P800, limited to 13" with the 1430. Third, you would be able to make digital negatives with the Epson inkset of the P8000, using either the Epson driver or QTR, with the 1430 you would need to run QTR with a third party ink all gray ink set to get sufficient blocking density for most alternative processes. Still, if one is looking to get into digital negatives as inexpensively as possible the 1430 is probably the way to go, assuming you would want to use QTR for maximum control negative production. And you have something of a turn key system with the new PiezoDN system for the 1430 so you don't have to write your own profiles.

BTW, the pizza wheel guides contact OHP on the ink side so the protector you mention would not help in this regard. Unfortunately marks from the pizza wheels are going to be an issue with all of the Epson photo printers, including the 3880 and P800. The only solution I found was to remove the wheels, which may or may not introduce other problems.

Sandy
    I have been researching the sc-p800 myself for digi - negs, by chance I went to one of the 3rd party ink supply sites to look for cheaper alternatives to the AU$600 plus quote for inks, they were also selling a door switch for the p800?? Interest aroused I investigated further, the shortcut will lead you to the story, but basically it stops those pizza/pinwheels from engaging, the site is for the 3880. There is also a you tube vid showing how to re-use the old maintenance cart. Has made up my mind to get the P800
    https://jkschreiber.wordpress.com/20...-an-epson-3880 (hopefully the same for the p800 as claimed)

Hi everybody,
    i wanted to reopen this thread because i am also looking for a printer to make own negatives
    for palladium prints. i like the p600 (maximum i can afford and makes good "normal" paper prints),
    and would like to ask the people who have the printer, if the issues are still occuring and if you
    would still recommend it?

How is the experience with the piezography? For what i saw on the first glance, the inks and so on are really expensive. It is only for black and white, right? Is it easy to switch between the inks, for example once the inks from piezography
    are empty?

thanks a lot for your help and answers

Henrik

Can't answer your question about piezography, but my P600 does work really well. I've had no problems since it was solved. (I couldn't get it to print on film).
    I've heard great things from friends and other artists that piezography works great. Sorry I can't answer that fully.

Lesley

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Biggerstaff View Post
    You can make excellent digital negs on the Canon Pixma Pro-100. The price is great and you can make up to 13X19 inch negs. I have made hundreds with the printer, and it keeps going and going and going.
    Eric, I have a Pixma Pro-100 and I had been wondering if I could make decent digital negatives. Can you tell me what product you are printing on?

My experience over the years is that most of the Epson printers work well with quad tone rip... I have actually not seen one that did not... I am not sure about the other makes of machines.

Quote Originally Posted by bob carnie View Post
    My experience over the years is that most of the Epson printers work well with quad tone rip... I have actually not seen one that did not... I am not sure about the other makes of machines.
    Only Epson printers can be run with the QuadToneRIP driver. There are other RIPs that can be used with Canon and HP printers, but they are very expensive and not as good for making digital negatives as QTR.

It is definitely possible to make digital negative with the Canon Pixma Pro-100, and with other Canon and HP photo printers, and if you work hard enough at it you can make very good negatives with these printers.

But if you are buying a printer to make digital negatives an Epson with QTR offers the ultimate in control of the process. And the current generation P600 and P800 printers work as well with QTR as the previous generation of Epson printers, though profiles from the other printers must be optimized for the new printers since their inks are more efficient blockers of UV light.

Sandy
    Last edited by sanking; 1-Dec-2017 at 16:18.
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

p800 works fine for a digital negative with OEM ink.
    requires a very light curve (compared to CANON imagePROGRAF 8400)
    p800
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	??????.JPG 
Views:	27 
Size:	17.8 KB 
ID:	172666
    CANON imagePROGRAF 8400
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	??????2.JPG 
Views:	25 
Size:	16.3 KB 
ID:	172667

Quote Originally Posted by maagareal View Post
    Hi everybody,
    i wanted to reopen this thread because i am also looking for a printer to make own negatives
    for palladium prints. i like the p600 (maximum i can afford and makes good "normal" paper prints),
    and would like to ask the people who have the printer, if the issues are still occuring and if you
    would still recommend it?

How is the experience with the piezography? For what i saw on the first glance, the inks and so on are really expensive. It is only for black and white, right? Is it easy to switch between the inks, for example once the inks from piezography
    are empty?

thanks a lot for your help and answers

Henrik