Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Affordable printer for digital negatives

Re: Affordable printer for digital negatives

Quote Originally Posted by joncone@cone-editions.com View Post
    Lesley, if it's not too late I would not buy a printer if I were you. Just get a free one locally.

The 4900, 7900, 9900 have a tendency to lose ink channels when on OEM inks and then become useless to the person/studio owning it for color work. Many people are upgrading and junking these printers. PiezoDN needs only 7 working channels and these X900 printers all have 10 channels (11 inks). We can then show you how to map out the unused channels. So, instead of buying a printer, you buy a set of Piezography glossy compatible inks and the PiezoDN software and use those on a free printer.

This is not actually far-fetched as it sounds.

When we were at Maine Media installing our system it was on a 4900 missing a channel. While there, Alan Vlach put an ad on a users group asking for a free 7900 to use with our system and he got one in less than an hour. There are tons of these discarded X900 printers out there.

So, you will be doing an incredible service to someone to go and pick up their useless printer and recycle it for your own needs. Avoid ones that have been sitting in corners for years. Try and get a fresher one that has been recently demised. Piezography pigment is ground finer and obviously filtered more than OEM. So, you can extend the life of a demised printer many years. And if you have one with only one missing channel. Put the other two in PiezoFlush and reserve them for future use.

That's my two cents worth.

Jon Cone
    Thank you, Jon!
    I have a P600 and an Artisan 1430. I was planning on using the PiezoDN with the 1430 eventually. Thanks for the feedback!
    Lesley

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by WalkerBlackwell View Post
    yeah, all ink.

We test with our eyeballs
    One of your recent IJM newsletters said this P series dithering issue isn't a problem with K3 inks and QTR, so I'm just curious what methods you use to make these kids of judgments. Is it just any print or some special targets or resolution test charts?

Personal Site — http://www.richardboutwell.com
    Black and White Aesthetics, Editing, and Printing — http://www.BWMastery.com

Frankly this is up to one's personal opinion. It's certainly not up to the Piezography standard . . . as set in all previous printers, applications, and dither-patterns so far.

best,
    Walker
    ------------------
    Walker Blackwell

So I'm tossing my hat into the ring on this (maybe... hopefully...). Assuming I was OK with being limited to 13" wide prints and went with the Epson 1430, I'd need to buy:

Epson 1430
    PiezoDN software
    QTR software
    PiezoDN K6 Selenium Inkset
    Something to put the ink in inside the printer

1) Is there anything I'm missing?

2) Which is the best inkhaus? ReUsable Cartridge Kit, EasyFill Keys, or CISS? I've installed a CIS before on an Epson printer looooong ago. Might have been a 1280. It was whatever was hot and new from Epson in about 2001 or so. The CIS system always struck me as smart, but I'm not sure I'll do enough volume to keep it happy.

If you are still looking this Canon deal may be worth it. Have to rely on getting a Rebate - but after it comes back you have a 13 inch printer some on here say works well - for $50.00

PIXMA PRO-100 for $50 AR at Beach Camera via eBay
    Posted August 26, 2016 at 7:42 pm. 27 comments.

PIXMA PRO-100 Printer
    PIXMA PRO-100 Printer

$49.99
    595 Sold
    Tweet

canon-pixma-pro-100-big1000-11402671032

Authorized Canon USA dealer Beach Camera via eBay has the Canon PIXMA PRO-100 plus 50 sheets Pro Luster photo paper for $49.99, after a $250 mail-in rebate.

This is a fantastic price; the ink alone goes for over $100. The price is $299.99 in-cart, then you get a mail-in rebate to net $49.99. The current rebate period is from July 1st to August 31st, you can only buy one printer during this period.

http://www.canonpricewatch.com/

We recommend the CISS because negatives use a lot of ink and the last thing you want to do is have to pause to refill carts. However, the CISS must be made 100% PP or/and PE in order to use our encapsulated pigment ink.

Quote Originally Posted by williaty View Post
    So I'm tossing my hat into the ring on this (maybe... hopefully...). Assuming I was OK with being limited to 13" wide prints and went with the Epson 1430, I'd need to buy:

Epson 1430
    PiezoDN software
    QTR software
    PiezoDN K6 Selenium Inkset
    Something to put the ink in inside the printer

1) Is there anything I'm missing?

2) Which is the best inkhaus? ReUsable Cartridge Kit, EasyFill Keys, or CISS? I've installed a CIS before on an Epson printer looooong ago. Might have been a 1280. It was whatever was hot and new from Epson in about 2001 or so. The CIS system always struck me as smart, but I'm not sure I'll do enough volume to keep it happy.

Quote Originally Posted by LesleyNowlin View Post
    Lucas, just wanted to let you know I've had no luck printing on Ultra Premium with the P600 printer. I'm going to try using different printer settings and will get back to you. I have a feeling I'll start using my Epson 1430 Artisan again...see if I can make them look better. If I can't I'll more than likely sell this P600 for a printer that will consistently work. Weird that some people's P600s work all the time! Will keep you posted on my progress.

Hi Lesley. I know this is an old post, but could you comment a bit more on what you liked/didn't like about digital negatives from the 1430? Are you printing straight from black and white negatives, or did you perform a test print like described here ( https://chrislh.wordpress.com/2010/0...s-calibration/ ) to figure out which ink blocks UV the best?

Quote Originally Posted by bobbotron View Post
    Hi Lesley. I know this is an old post, but could you comment a bit more on what you liked/didn't like about digital negatives from the 1430? Are you printing straight from black and white negatives, or did you perform a test print like described here ( https://chrislh.wordpress.com/2010/0...s-calibration/ ) to figure out which ink blocks UV the best?
    Hi there,
    I can't really say b/c I figured out how to print on the SureColor P600 really well and I haven't gone back to the 1430. I do remember that printing it straight as a b&w neg the ink was very thin. It didn't produce a rich b&w but looked faded a bit. Hope that helps a bit.

Eric Biggerstaff

I use the Canon Pixma Pro-100 with excellent results. I use Dan Burkholder's system and enjoy it. The ink is pricey but the printer is a steal and has been very very dependable for me.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/searc...rch=yes&sts=ps
    Eric Biggerstaff

www.ericbiggerstaff.com

Quote Originally Posted by LesleyNowlin View Post
    Hi there,
    I can't really say b/c I figured out how to print on the SureColor P600 really well and I haven't gone back to the 1430. I do remember that printing it straight as a b&w neg the ink was very thin. It didn't produce a rich b&w but looked faded a bit. Hope that helps a bit.
    I ended up buying a 1430. I've had good success with it, they might look thin but they block UV light for cyanotype really well.