Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I have been a member of this forum for more than sixteen years....

joseph

Re: I have been a member of this forum for more than sixteen years....

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sawyer View Post
    First they came for the digital photographers, and I didn't say anything because I didn't shoot digital...
    I haven't read the next page, but I'd just like to mention that I am Sparatcus, too.

Gudmundur, a frank exchange of views represents a time gone by- when the site was vital. Perhaps we are the last of an eddying backwater, after all...

joseph

An apolitical photograph is a worthless photograph, after all. Unless it's art. In which case, it's inherently worthless. Or, useless (after Oscar Wilde...)

Those who are easily offended should never post rubbish on youtube.

Dave Karp

Quote Originally Posted by jb7 View Post
    I haven't read the next page, but I'd just like to mention that I am Sparatcus, too.

Gudmundur, a frank exchange of views represents a time gone by- when the site was vital. Perhaps we are the last of an eddying backwater, after all...
    I think frank exchanges of views happen all the time on this forum. No problem unless people fail to treat others with respect, or stray into the political. There are plenty of places to go for the latter. Not too many places where talented and knowledgeable people can get together to discuss and help each other in connection to their LF photography.

Quote Originally Posted by jb7 View Post
    An apolitical photograph is a worthless photograph, after all. Unless it's art. In which case, it's inherently worthless. Or, useless (after Oscar Wilde...)

That is totally incorrect. Only people who's minds are constantly wringing about politics, see politics in everything. Others see other things like beauty, life, mortality, work, ambition, recreation, and a slew of human emotions and traits. Politics is about criticizing people that don't believe what you believe, and power. Photography can be used, and I do mean used, for political agendas. But I prefer photography that is the other, purer purpose.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only rule being whined about here is Thou Shalt Not Discuss Politics. Again, and unceasingly, why do we have to listen to anyone's political beliefs on a photography site? People that only want to discuss politics will do it here on an LF board, and on their Facebook pages, and commenting on other's FB pages, and invading other hobby sites, and protesting in front of meetings about this and the other thing. It's wearying, off tangent, and selfish, by nature.

Moderators: my vote is ANY time someone posts a "I'm whining because this forum is Sooooo bad now.....because I Caaaaannnn't talk about Pooollllitics...!!" you should just delete the post immediately. They are just stirring the pot, and they need to either get with the program, or LEAVE.

The photograph above is high in political content. First it is sown by someone that is not the author without crediting Gertrude Käsebier. And secondly it looks to to be about the "subpression of women". This ought to be deleaded by the moderators if they want to be politicly correct.

Gudmundur, it seems you are wanting to argue... I'll keep this informative.
    You are not getting what Garrett (and many others) is choosing to focus on. Kasebeir's photo certainly commands attention, but you are missing what Garret wrote.
    I like having a place on the Internet where political banter is left at the door.

Thanks JP, you get it. And Gudmundur fell for exactly what I was describing. Some see a beautiful photo. Others, like him, see any photo as a chance to get on a political soapbox. He should head to the sites that like that kind of switch-er-roo. I don't.

Quote Originally Posted by goamules View Post
    Thanks JP, you get it. And Gudmundur fell for exactly what I was describing. Some see a beautiful photo. Others, like him, see any photo as a chance to get on a political soapbox. He should head to the sites that like that kind of switch-er-roo. I don't.
    But this make it seem you set him up to fail so can he leave the forums? Is this good favor to community members?

Quote Originally Posted by Gudmundur Ingolfsson View Post
    The photograph above is high in political content. First it is sown by someone that is not the author without crediting Gertrude Käsebier. And secondly it looks to to be about the "subpression of women". This ought to be deleaded by the moderators if they want to be politicly correct.
    First of all, I fully agree that the person who posted the photograph most definitely should have credited the original photography. Before Garret "sowed" it, perhaps he should have considered what he might have to reap. However, I see nothing in the image that suggests "subpression of women". Or even suppression for that matter. In my eye, it shows the beauty of an individual person, who happens to be a woman. If you think there is something oppressive about the image perhaps there is something in your own psyche that needs to be resolved. Lastly, although I do not know for certain this was a silver print, I'm sure it was a silver based negative. Therefore, I doubt the moderators can "delead" it.
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!

Gundmundur, you need to get some help. There is a problem assigning evil intent and politics across the ages, then trying to "clean up" history and the world to your beliefs. I don't do things that way.

BigNegative, Give me a break, that photo is on millions of cards, websites, posters everywhere. If you don't know who did it, the photographer was Gertrude Käsebier, the Portrait of Miss N was taken 100 years ago, by the way. The artist died more than 70 years ago.

And I didn't "set up" anything. I was talking about the beauty of photos, as a righteous counter to talking politics on this forum, and the complainer made the photo political, ironically. Once done, he became a perfect example of the problem. Now you, Mr Big Negative, come in on your first post, trying to keep the politics going. You guys are sick, go find another place to drive your Complaintocracy (government by those who complain/protest the loudest).

Now, is this forum going to talk about photography? Or are we going to let a few continue to advocate discussion of politics?

Moderators: time for a lock.