Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Why use divided development?

Re: Why use divided development?

I only got to take home the image.

Too many errors and unfounded statements in the Cookbook. If you really want to learn about all elements of exposure and development and how to control ithem, get a copy of Richard Henry's "Controls in Black & White Photography". He tested every statement he made.

I wouldn't look at the cookbook as a gospel testament. It's more like a running history and documentation. As such, it's a great reference. You should just know what it is.

I have used David Kachel's bleach and redevelopment method. It can work very well, infact, it's the best out there for extreme contractions...but every film reacts differently. The best film ever for this process is TMY-2... a downside as this film is too expensive for me today. If you are not careful, the process can get away from you really easily, and one must always shoot a backup, just in case. Then I started using Pyrocat-HD at the turn of the century, and never looked back. I only use Divided Pyrocat-HD development when I need big contractions. Works very well for scanning and digitised negs.

So far, the bleach works pretty well. I am hoping to marry the two, ie bleach plus 2-bath. I also need options for both traditional printing and digital printing. I really think the film has more in the way of exposure range than we think, even today. Since bleach reacts only on the highlights (mostly) and the 2-bath but in a different manner there is a potential for possibly something to be gained. Maybe not. I am also very interested in the pull process using the bleach method Kachel discusses, but the chemical is a bit nasty. I also worry about whacking the shadow detail if I do a pull process.

I wonder if it is possible to contract and pull an image using the two different bleach baths. And yes, take two images of everything that you plan to do bleach on and even 2-bath.

I think this is part of what I am trying to achieve. Expose for deepest shadows to zone v if you will, maybe even 6, then contract the scene and pull it at the same time. I am sure this has been done in some form. I just like to experiment.

I will check out both books before buying. Anyone have a pdf copy of either or both?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    Too many errors and unfounded statements in the Cookbook. If you really want to learn about all elements of exposure and development and how to control ithem, get a copy of Richard Henry's "Controls in Black & White Photography". He tested every statement he made.
    Would strongly second this statement!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    Too many errors and unfounded statements in the Cookbook.
    Jim, is there any example ?

Of course Controls in Black-And-White Photography is a good recommendation, but as a reader of the cookbook I'd like to know if there is any clear mistake there...

Quote Originally Posted by Pere Casals View Post
    Jim, is there any example ?

Of course Controls in Black-And-White Photography is a good recommendation, but as a reader of the cookbook I'd like to know if there is any clear mistake there...
    When I purchased the book years ago, I read it cover to cover and marked significant errors. I found so many, I threw the book in the trash, thus no examples at hand.

It's true about the errors in the cook book. A friend of mine noted all the mistakes he could find, sent them in to the author, but fell on deaf ears. It still is a damn good reference book that I have used over the years.