Thread: low dollar packard shutter bulb and hose

low dollar packard shutter bulb and hose

This is probably already a thread somewhere, but I just purchased a packard shutter online. I didn't want to spend $30 bucks on a bulb and hose from the manufacturer and I hated the cheesy looking red (vinyl?) ones on ebay, so I made this one instead, and it works great.

$2.99 for a Mr. Landscaper sprinkler at Lowes that I stole the tubing off of (1/4" OD)
    $.4.49 plus free shipping for a replacement blood pressure bulb from ebay (item number 351673939541)

Pulled the little release valve out of the front of the bulb, and the tubing is just a perfect friction fit. Other than the white writing on the tube that says "Made in the US" I thought it came out pretty good. Anyway, thought I'd share in case anyone was interested.

Re: low dollar packard shutter bulb and hose

Hey that looks pretty good. I bought a bulb and hose off Ebay, not very impressed. The hose was to small so I ended up using the original tubing. I like the looks of your bulb I'm going to check it out.
    Best Regards Mike

Well done! Looks good and probably works good and affordable,GREAT JOB!

Did you mean the release valve was the end without the screw? Blood pressure bulbs also have a one way valve at the other end which must be poked open if you are going to use your thumb release to leave a Packard shutter on open.
    You can leave the screw valve in the system and open or you can use it to keep pressure in the system by closing it after you have squeezed.

Quote Originally Posted by cowanw View Post
    Did you mean the release valve was the end without the screw? Blood pressure bulbs also have a one way valve at the other end which must be poked open if you are going to use your thumb release to leave a Packard shutter on open.
    You can leave the screw valve in the system and open or you can use it to keep pressure in the system by closing it after you have squeezed.
    I removed the end with the screw. I was worried about the one way valve as well, but on this particular bulb, it requires quite a vigorous pump to engage, so it works out great. When I have the instantaneous shutter pin in, I can just mash the bulb to get 1/25th, or I can put my thumb over the end, squeeze lightly to open the shutter, and release my thumb, and the shutter will stay open. To close it, I squeeze the bulb softly, (which doesn't activate the one way valve) air comes out through the one way valve, I put my thumb over it again and the bulb suction closes it. I have an amazing amount of control over it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rael View Post
    I removed the end with the screw. I was worried about the one way valve as well, but on this particular bulb, it requires quite a vigorous pump to engage, so it works out great. When I have the instantaneous shutter pin in, I can just mash the bulb to get 1/25th, or I can put my thumb over the end, squeeze lightly to open the shutter, and release my thumb, and the shutter will stay open. To close it, I squeeze the bulb softly, (which doesn't activate the one way valve) air comes out through the one way valve, I put my thumb over it again and the bulb suction closes it. I have an amazing amount of control over it.
    You may have invented an ingenious time exposure method, how long do you think the shutter would stay open? 5 minutes is a long time to stand with your thumb on the end of a regular bulb ��
    Best Regards Mike