Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Epson 1280 Question

Epson 1280 Question

I am looking to buy an Epson 1280 printer. Can someone give me information on the number of 11x17 color prints per ink cartridge? I need to figure out a per print cost to see if it is cheaper than my current lab.

Thanks

Doug Dolde

Epson 1280 Question

I don't have numbers, but have always looked at the break even point which would include the price of the printer, paper and ink. Then there's my time and the inherent hassle of doing your own printing...some would argue that a real "artiste" would print his own....but if you are doing 100% of the file prep then letting the lab print it you are essentially using their printer remotely.

I figured that to break even on an Epson 4000 doing 16x20 prints I'd need to do in excess of 100 prints vs the cost of having them done on a Lightjet. Of course after that the cost becomes less for doing it yourself.

So far I am still in Lightjet mode...and Chromira.

Epson 1280 Question

The epson site specifies 340 pages color at 15% coverage. I would 1/2 that for 11x17, then 1/2 it again for straight photo work (30% coverage)

so - 85 prints per color/black cartidge set.

Still seems really optimistic to me. I don't think I ever got that many prints out of a set - between cleanings and calibration - etc.

I wouldn't count on more than 50 full 11x17 prints per set.

Epson 1280 Question

My guess is $3-4 per print, depending on the paper. Maybe 12 prints per color cartridge. (I use 3 color carts for every 1 black cart.) I think you can get more accurate numbers on inkjetart.com
    my black and white photos of the Mendocino Coast: jonshiu.zenfolio.com

Epson 1280 Question

wow Jon - you really only think 12... I got at least 30 on a 1200 - and I assumed with the smaller dots, the 1280 would be more effecient (but maybe overall density is higher).

Epson 1280 Question

As the owner of a 1270, which is about the same printer, I would suggest you consider a newer model. These are both so out of date that it is hard to get profiles and head clogging is a real issue, since the heads are built in. I am keeping mine going just a little longer to see reviews of the new HP v. the R1800, but it is a losing battle. I expect the ink to get more expensive as less of it is sold.

Epson 1280 Question

I don't really keep track, but because the cartridge is chipped it can't be run down as low as the 1200. I guess it depends on what colors your prints have.

My estimate is based on this-(inkjetart.com)
    *When printing photographic images on "Photo" papers, using the highest quality settings, most users are reporting a capacity of 20 to 30 prints (8"x10" image area) before one of the color cells runs dry.

so maybe 10 to 15 11x17 prints would the range to expect.
    my black and white photos of the Mendocino Coast: jonshiu.zenfolio.com

Epson 1280 Question

The individual cartridges in the newer printers also have tons to recommend them as far as saving costs...

Epson 1280 Question

You might also want to consider that the 1280 inks are Epsons older dye based inksets, and they are not very lightfast compaired to the newer pigmented inks in the Epson 2200.

Epson 1280 Question

I've always had such a bad clogging problem with my 1280, and waste so much ink in head cleanings, that I would feel real fortunate to get 12 prints from a set of inks. Unfortunatly, thats been the case ever since I purchased it. I have never been able to get a neutral black print from it. Using dye inks, you will get rapid fading and weird color shifts.

Last weekend, I gave up and purchased a new R1800. My recommendation is to not even consider the 1280. Although the R1800 may be twice the money, It would be money well spent.