Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Workshop on east coast or Mentor?

Re: Workshop on east coast or Mentor?

Everyone: Andy emailed me directly, and while I will respond to him directly, I am posting this in the interest of "crowd-sourcing." Here is part of what Andy wrote: 'My carlton has 5 wooden cassette, they measure 6 1/2, 81/2, but a friend thinks they may require glass plate?" While all of you have been recommending courses in LF photography, I don't have the background to know whether the unusual film size, and potential for needing glass plates, will be resolved in any normal class (I've taken workshops with Fred Picker, Bill Abranowicz, and Sally Mann, and none of them would have been directly applicable in this rather specialized case). I've been shooting 4x5 for close to 40 years, but don't know if Andy will have to cut his own film, what to do if the holders really need glass plates, and whether there are adaptors that might allow his wooden holders to accept 4x5 or 5x7 film, or if he may even have to get involved with x-ray film due to the odd size. Speaking on behalf of someone I have never met, I think it would be appropriate if someone with experience in these areas responds.

Yes there are film inserts that will convert a plate holder to a film holder. Also, there are reducing film holders to adapt to smaller size film. The inserts may be hard to find in whole/full plate size, but may sometimes be found on ebay, or wtb ad here. Also, I have heard of people loading the film on top of the plate, not sure how well that would work.

Jon
    my black and white photos of the Mendocino Coast: jonshiu.zenfolio.com

full plate film is available via the Ilford ULF specialorder.