Thread: Filters for Aristo head

Filters for Aristo head

I have sprung for a new Aristo D2 cold light head for my Besseler 45MXT enlarger. The installation was easy, however, during the removal of of condenser head the filter drawer is also removed. The question is: am I restricted to using an under the lens filter holder, or is there some trick way to use above the lens filters. I know that the arguement for above or below says there is no difference (mostly), but I just found the drawer convenient. Any thoughts?

Filters for Aristo head

Make a cardboard frame for 6x6 filters so that 5 1/2 x 5 1/2 shows and add above the neg. Size the frame so you can line it up easily and not cut off light to the neg.

Filters for Aristo head

Bob, I have the same problem and I placed the filters right on top of the negative as Ronald suggests. The problem with that is that you will not be able to do split filter printing, so I have gone to the under the lens type. Just be sure to get super clean filters and avoid reflections and such on them. It does make split filter work very easy.

Paul

Octogenarian

Filters for Aristo head

Hi Bob,

If your Aristo cold light head has the V54 tube, it will work just fine with the under-the-lens variable contrast filters. Just make sure that the filters are clean and mounted solidly, as close to the surface of the enlarging lens as possible.

Mounting filters above the negative, with no filter drawer, makes it very difficult to change filters without disturbing the position of the negative. Also, dust and glitches on the filter will come into focus if the filter is sandwiched along with the negative.

Filters for Aristo head

With my Omega D-II, I've occasionally used VC filters between the neg carrier and the Aristo head, so the filter isn't sandwiched with the neg. I'm not sure if this works with the Beseler.