Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Symmar-S v Apo-Symmar

Symmar-S v Apo-Symmar

Can anyone comment on the practical performance of a Symmar S 210mm over it's successor the Apo for 4x5 use.
    Thanks
    Peter

Re: Summary s V apo

I meant Symmar in title not summary.....

MODERATOR'S NOTE: fixed!

Re: Symmar-S v Apo-Symmar

I have never used a Symmar-S in direct comparison to an Apo-Symmar but have experience with both lens types; the first a 300/5.6 Symmar-S (single-coated, early version) and a 135/5.6 Apo-Symmar from c.1991. This was while I worked as an industrial photographer at a major corporation... the 300 was a superb lens in every respect. The 135 Apo added higher contrast and thus more color saturation. Never reached the limits of either lenses' resolution despite doing some fairly demanding work. I would not hesitate to use a lens of either formula for anything I might photograph today... multicoated Symmar-S lenses and Apo-Symmars would be my choices if I had those choices to make, but there would never be a need to make excuses for the single-coated version.

I can't recall the member's name, but he was a Symmar-S user and commented that, he thought he had sharp optics, until he tried the Apo-Symmars. (Hearsay, of course.)

I've been a user of 100mm, 150mm, and 180mm Symmar-S lenses. Based on his comment, I've swapped out the 150mm for an Apo-Symmar, and will eventually do the same for the 100mm and 180mm lenses.

Chris Perez likely has some of those comparisons on his site. Basically the APO version is better in all ways.

Quote Originally Posted by EdSawyer View Post
    Chris Perez likely has some of those comparisons on his site. Basically the APO version is better in all ways.
    He has only one head-to-head comparison between a Symmar-S and an Apo-Symmar in the same focal length (150), and that one is equivocal:

http://www.hevanet.com/cperez/testing.html

I do not have an APO-Symmar 210mm lens, but I like my Symmar-S 210mm/f5.6. Here is a photo i shot recently.

You can also compare the MTFs from Schneider.

Drew Wiley

I dunno. I look at my old Symmar S prints from time to time, and no, they didn't have quite the same degree of sharpness and contrast as newer plasmats; but there was a certain look that was more pleasing in cases, esp how background blur was handled, even though these were already in modern Copal shutters with
    a limited number of aperture blades. As usual, the numbers don't tell it all.

Thanks, when did the model change from S to Apo can someone advise?

Peter