Thread: Unusual Pentax Spotmeter V

Unusual Pentax Spotmeter V

I own an unusual Pentax Spotmeter V, bought a few years ago the dial (meter calculator) is different to that shown in the manual, the name plate reads Pentax Spotmeter V 1027 and it came with an Ashai 46mm ND +8EV filter which looks like a mirror.

Please look at the scales on the dial (meter calculator), shutter speeds only go from 1sec to 1/200, the index marks are different, it says x100P.P.S at the edge. I find it is near enough accurate if I use the index mark "HD" . It uses the three button cells only.

Does anybody know what the original purpose of the meter was?

Is it still possible to download the print out zone label for this meter, I cant find it on the web.

Thanks

Nigel
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1297 (Medium).jpg   IMG_1302 (Medium).jpg   IMG_1294 (Medium).jpg  

Re: Unusual Pentax Spotmeter V

I wouldn't think it too difficult to make a zone scale yourself, if you cannot locate one; Zone VI Studios used to sell the Pentax V as a zone meter with a scale so there may be someone...somewhere...that has one.

If going the DIY route, I'd determine proper Zone 1 exposure, per the "HD" mark, make up a suitable zone scale that fits your meter, place Zone 1 on your scale 4 EV below the HD mark (or, said another way...place Zone 5 on the HD mark), then each zone on the scale should be 1 EV apart as you move up the scale from Zone 1.

Does that make sense? Harder to write than to create the scale.

Good luck!

High-speed camera exposure meter? Note the "X100 P.P.S." scale and compare to this Hitachi High Speed Camera Exposure Meter:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/29504544@N08/25462286820

Nigel,

The Zone VI scale is available here. Oren seems to be on the right track regarding the identity of the meter.
    Last edited by Oren Grad; 8-May-2016 at 15:41. Reason: fix broken link
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig."

seezee at Mercury Photo Bureau
    seezee on Flickr
    seezee's day-job at Messenger Web Design

Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    High-speed camera exposure meter? Note the "X100 P.P.S." scale and compare to this Hitachi High Speed Camera Exposure Meter:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/29504544@N08/25462286820
    Interesting, yes lots of similarities including a reference to a ND filter. Just need to know what a high speed camera is used for? It rings a bell, possibly a scientific application? I will have a hunt around.
    thanks
    Nigel

Hi,
    I found that link previously, I was hoping for a scan of the one that sticks on the actual meter dial however I will try making that one up.
    Thanks
    Nigel

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel Richards View Post
    Interesting, yes lots of similarities including a reference to a ND filter. Just need to know what a high speed camera is used for? It rings a bell, possibly a scientific application? I will have a hunt around.
    You will find lots of scientific applications - the ability to play back slowly things that happen really fast is extremely useful in many different fields.

Thinking about it, very high light intensity and very short exposures, as I mentioned without the ND fitted it seems more or less accurate using the HD index so I suspect the internals are standard. Maybe 1 - 200 is not fractions of a second but frames per second times whichever scale you are using.

Lascassas, TN

In the late '70's , we used high speed film cameras to record motion of test dummies during vehicle impact testing. The cameras were mounted outside on the door and filmed the dummy head motion during impact. Targets were mounted to the dummy's head and the motion manually plotted by hand. From the filming rate and head motion, head impact deceleration was calculated. Must be a lot simpler in today's digital world............
    Bill Kumpf

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel Richards View Post
    thanks
    Nigel
    Have you ever seen Myth Busters? They use high speed cameras regularly to record explosions, accidents, falls, bullets and other projectiles.