Thread: Light Leaks Around the Negative Carrier

Light Leaks Around the Negative Carrier

Hi

I use a Kaiser 3550 B+W enlarger for printing roll-film (from an RFH in an Arca, hence the post here) and am having problem with light leaks from around the neg carrier. I can't think of a sensible way to block the leaks without shutting off the air circulation to the head or potentially scratching the other negatives, as the frames either side of the one being printed stick out from the carrier, of course. One alternative would be to cut the negs into singles but I would be guaranteed to lose at least half of them thereafter...I've tried some black cardboard hinged flaps that rest over the protruding negs but this has only succeeded in redirecting the light leak down towards the baseboard... not the desired effect!Any suggestions greatfully received.Regards Ian

Are you closing the carrier completely when printing or leaving it in the open transpsrt position after transporting the frame in the enlarger?

I'm not familiar with that enlarger but my D2 has the smae problem they just aren't totally precision enough. Light is like water: its hard to contain. I use a piece of darkout cloth(toally black and semi-rubberiszed on one side) wrap it around the negative carrier asm and secure it with a clothespin. It works great doesn't and require any modification of the enlarger. Good Luck

I'm not familiar with the design of your enlarger but my Beseler MXT has the same problem. I made a box-like device that fits over the head and covers the front and sides where the light from the carrier was leaking out. It's nothing elaborate, just something fashioned with a pair of scissors and a shoe box. I lift it off to insert the negative carrier and leave it on while the exposure is being made and at all other times. A side benefit is that it functions as kind of a dust cover for the head when the enlarger isn't in use.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

BobI'm closing the carrier completely and the light leaks from each side above the carrier. I thought about sticking some black velvet strips along the edges of the carrier but it would still leak after closing.I've tried with the neg carrier open but this simply floods light from the front.Ian

Where aare you located?

BobCyprusIan

Try making a "skirt" to go around the negative carrier area (and any other area that leaks light). Use an opaque fabric. I've used a black ultra-suede that is very light and very opaque.

Then you might contact the factory directly with your question. They should be able to solve your problem.

The enlarger is adjustable and you have to adjust this while running in the dark. Also make a felt skirt out of virgin black felt.