Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sekonic L-758DR Digitalmaster

Re: Sekonic L-758DR Digitalmaster

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    Always carry a spare battery.
    Yes! My L-758D has had only two battery failures. Both times it was on top of a mountain that I'd just carried my 8x10 outfit up. The spare battery saved me from making expensive guesses, er mistakes, about exposure.
    Photography:first utterance. Sir John Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society. "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..".

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

I was back out with the Pentax and Sekonic this afternoon. Yesterday it was cloudy with intermittent rain all day but it cleared to partly cloudy around noon and sun glasses were appropriate. That's when I noticed a distinct difference between the two meters: First the data display in the Sekonic's view finder is much smaller than in the Pentax and is blue rather than the Pentax's red. This makes it hard to see while wearing sunglasses (at first I thought that I didn't have the meter turned on) and it is necessary to shield the finder from the light with your hand to read it. The reading in the Pentax, on the other hand, is big and a bright red and easily read. Not using sunglasses when reading the Sekonic makes a big difference. On a smaller note, the Sekonic's shoulder strap, like today's shoe laces, is waaaaay to big. I'm medium height (5'10") and with the shoulder strap the meter falls almost to my knees! Who's responsible for this fad?

As far as spare batteries, I routinely carry a spare but there is no place for carrying one in the Zone VI holster so it goes in the pack. Trouble is I have 3 dedicated photo packs depending on the gear which means that I must find and transfer the spare battery to the current pack. The spare compartment in the Sekonic case eliminates that and ensures that the spare will always be with the meter and not with the pack.

Thomas

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tgtaylor View Post

Once you realize that the Sekonic gives the aperture readings to the 1/10th stop (e.g., a reading I just took with the Sekonic read 1 second at f5.6(6) and the Pentax gave 5.6 and a third at 1 second) both agree remarkably well other

Thomas
    I redid that reading last night and it appears that I didn't have the sensors exactly aligned with each orher: Avery tiny movement with the Pentax and it displayed 5.6+2/3 stops which is identical with the Sekonic. Pentax really had its stuff together back then.

Thomas

tgtaylor...

One of the padded blocks in the padded case... is hollow and held on with Velcro.

Guess what fits in there...

if you don't plant to calibrate (what people don't note is that you can actually not just calibrate camera, but also ISO.. so you can in fact calibrate to specific responses of specific film or shutter) - and dying for spot-metering - 578 model with zoomable spot might be better fit. Also 578 using regular AA battery, and its a tad lighter.

Both are great. I used both on regular basis (yes, after having my first 758 stolen, i use 578 when going around places, 758 sits mostly around home studio zone)

What is a 578?

Quote Originally Posted by tgtaylor View Post
    Anyone use the 758DR for film capture? What are its pros and cons?

Thomas
    Yes, I use my Sekonic L-758DR for films. I work as a Director of Photography for TV shows, commercials and indie films.

I also use it when I am working with my 4x5" large format film cameras.

And, yes, I use the radio transmitter with my several PocketWizard transceivers to trigger Alien Bee, White Lightning and Nikon strobes.

It is a trusted versatile tool.